• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front locker w/ vac set up

Mopar It

NAXJA Forum User
so if i throw a front locker in my dana 30 like a detroit or somethin and dont abuse it will it hold up? i mean when 4x4 is not engaged with my 231 part time it should drive normal and be completely rwd right? then when i go in 4hi/4lo it'll be locked completely up front right?

When in 2 hi you will only have rear wheel drive, correct. When in 4 lo/hi when one wheel starts to slip it will lock in.

If you are staying with smaller size tires under 33's and don't abuse it you should be fine. With the disco axle you won't even notice the locker on -road in 2 hi.

You have the best axle housing but the 2 piece shafts on the pass side and the weaker axle shaft u-joints are the weak spot of that set up. If you start having breakage just switch to the one piece pass side inner shaft and new seals and you will be fine as well. Or better yet replace both sides axle shafts with the latter model 297x joints for more strength. Without the disconnect you will have a little more noise on sharp turns in 2 hi.

Last edited:
okay im just wondering wil li be able to wheel in 2 wheel drive still without the aid of the front locker and will i be able to get drifts goin around turns in the rain ? :)

Mopar It said:
okay im just wondering wil li be able to wheel in 2 wheel drive still without the aid of the front locker and will i be able to get drifts goin around turns in the rain ? :)

I can't give you advice one way or the other on drifting a XJ with or with out a locker.

Mopar It said:
im half kidding im jsut curious if i did drift it slightly would the front axle catch and buck from the locker?

Not likely with the disconnect but I wouldn't chance it. And I say that because the disconnect may hang or malfunction.

I have an Aussie in the front of my xj. Its in the non disco d30 axle. I dont ever feel it on the street, ocasionally I will hear it ratcheting around a really tight corner.
With the disconnect d-30 you will never know its there untill you put it in 4wd.

Back