• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No front wheel spin with 4weel drive engaged

ga_cis

NAXJA Forum User
I am new to Jeeps and have a 90 XJ with the command track transmission (no fulltime 4wd). The indicator light for the 4wd does not come on when engaging 4wd. With 4wd engaged the it appears that the front wheels are not pulling at all. The transfer case seems to engage properly and there are no unusual noises. The rears will spin and the fronts just sit there. What sort of a problem might I have?

IIRC, that's a vacuum disconnect front axle, I'd say it has something to do with that....

I have never really worked with the vac disconnect axle, so i'm not really sure what to look for, or how it works - but my guess would be check the line first and see if its even connected...

If so here is a really quick and easy way to check some stuff out
1. block the rear wheels
2. take a jack and jack the front passenger side axle up so the tire spins free
3. Start vehicle and engage 4wd low or hi, doesnt matter
4. get out and try to turn the front drive shaft (cant turn it? good, transfer case properly engaged)
5. if Tcase working go the passenger front wheel. can you spin it? (if yes not good) means several things

try this out and see where the problem is at

Thanks for the replies. Gives me a place to start. Cant start till Tue. though because the XJ is at the farm 90 miles away. I get to celebrate being a Vet on Monday.:patriot:

The trouble was indeed a cracked vacuum line. Someone else had to show me what a vacuum line actually looked like. Then it was an easy fix.
Thanks for all the help. :loveu:

Back