• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie locker??

beatassXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep is a dd with about 3.5inches of lift, 30inch dunlop mud rovers that NEVER sees rocks. pretty much all mud. im gonna go to 31's soon probably MT mtz's(heard they're quiet, dont mind some noise but no ssr's or anyhting) . but would the locker affect the jeep on road alot?? it sees muddy trails about once every 2 weeks and alot of highway... or would money be better spent somwhere else? i just hate gettin stuck..
thanks.

Edit:. locker for front dana 30 im thinkin...or should i do the back 35??o and it has a np231 if that matters

Last edited:
My xj is on 35s w/ the stock dana 30 non disco axle and I have an Aussie locker in the front. I cant even tell its there untill I put it in 4wd. I also 'qualify' all around town (about 50 miles a day), pulling an over size trailer, and i still have no problems.
Lock it up! you wont regret it.

Lock the front with an Aussie. The D30 is frankly not worth putting a locker in as you will likely want to upgrade it in the near future. The Aussie is all but un-noticable in the D30 in 2WD.

i run an aussie in the rear of mine in a 44 and love it, there is light rachetting around ctight corners with no throttle and it does lock up a bit when i gas it in tight corners, but i think chicks dig the chirp anyway haha, its nowhere near as bad as a cherokee with a detroit locker i drove

jeeperjohn said:
Lock the front with an Aussie. The D30 is frankly not worth putting a locker in as you will likely want to upgrade it in the near future. The Aussie is all but un-noticable in the D30 in 2WD.

I'm pretty sure jeeperjohn meant to say that the D35 is not worth putting a locker in. :)

So i'd love to put a front locker in my d30 but i live in Mn so there's snow on the ground probably 8 months out of the year. I'm not concerned about the getting traction part, mainly the losing traction part. even with lockers front and rear i will lose traction on the road, and therefore leaving no tires to hold my place or help steer. am i thinking correctly? So what i'm going to do for now is weld my other axle (disco) with homemade posi lock, so i can disconnect my rf wheel, but have a firm 3 wheel, selectable 4 wheel drive.
any thoughts?

codyj86 said:
So i'd love to put a front locker in my d30 but i live in Mn so there's snow on the ground probably 8 months out of the year. I'm not concerned about the getting traction part, mainly the losing traction part. even with lockers front and rear i will lose traction on the road, and therefore leaving no tires to hold my place or help steer. am i thinking correctly? So what i'm going to do for now is weld my other axle (disco) with homemade posi lock, so i can disconnect my rf wheel, but have a firm 3 wheel, selectable 4 wheel drive.
any thoughts?
With that much snow time you would really be better off with a limited slip up front. I don't recommend a truetrack for snow, look for a regular type of posi unit.

The truetrack does not engage the other tire until the spinning tire reaches a certain speed, this makes for lot's of slippage. A normal limited slip will lock up the other wheel before much slippage occurs.

Back