• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

good o.c. garage for heater core replacement???

XJ96Classic

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone. havent been one in a while..

so its getting cold and i have my heater core bipassed since last spring's trip to big bear.

if it was a 3-4hour job and i would do it myself, but i honestly dont have the time lately and just need to job done..

Jeep wants 1,300
Jepp Care center in HB wants 1,000

I dont see how it should cost over 500-600... for some guy to pull the dash.. shouldnt take 8 hours. parts are no more than 150

ANYONE DONE THIS REPAIR BEFORE AND CAN TELL ME IF ITS REALLY THAT MUCH OF A PAIN.. OR CAN GIVE ME A GARAGE NAME THAT THAT IS FAIR IN THEIR PRICING???

-Matt

yep... guess there isnt any good garages out there... im going to trust it to some guy in lake forst.. 475 for the job,. cheepest i could get someone to spend 8 hours taking apart the dash...

Hey Matt,

Not sure why folks have not responded. Unfortunately, I can not tell you of any garage. Like alot of folks here, if I needed this done, I would try to enlist help from the group. If I don't have the time, I would do exactly what you did - post up.

I would also PM a couple of folks for help or advice:

MJR - Mike Rollins - he should be able to tell you about the dificulty and maybe pricing. He may even know a good shop. he has been busy and not posted lately, but I am sure he would reply to a PM.

There are a couple of guys that posted up they are looking for side work to make extra cash. Look for their threads. I know that ryurabbit has a thread out there.

I hope this helps a little.

Good Luck!

thanks rob,

yeah, i was going to message mike, but i wanted to save him for some technical issue that i could work out myself with a little advice. he has helped me out before twice actually. great guy.

man i love my jeep, but i think there is a hex on it right now..

this is the past 6 months:

-first it was that power steering pump that came without the pin holding in the output shaft, up in big bear when i was supposed to be drinking with the rest of you. then there was the second ps pump that was leaking.

-starter that went on the top of santiago peak - 3am fix with flashlight in my mouth.

-water-pump

-brakes with brakelines

-oil pressure sensor broken off at a quick lube place.

-annoying issue that ended up just being a bad coil wire. but i broke a "extremely brittle" coolant fitting while fixing that at the side of the road.

- battery went bad, horn stopped working.

- cat sounded like a rattlesnake. replaced

- headers just cracked the rest of the way through on the trip to have the heatercore replaced. lol irony..

So now all i have to do is fix the rear gasket oil seal, replace a transmision fluid return line, and SELL IT IN "LIKE NEW" CONDITION

dreams of lockers, SYE, hitch, bumpers, rockrails, safari or rear tire carrier, something other than a 32x11.5 bouncing in the back. will have to wait... way way way too much money in this rig this year.

I guess if anyone wants to see me out on the trails again this year... some gracious donations or reduced prices for my rig would be very helpful. This is my only vehicle so i have to be somewhat responsible with her.

-Matt

i have a 88 xj that the heater core was busted when i got it. took me about two hours to replace. if i had been holding my tongue right maybe less. just had a little trouble getting the blower box back under the dash. no biggie.

Sorry to hear about all of the issues with your jeep Matt. Welcome & get use to spending money on it & from the list of goodies that have gone wrong with it sounds like there is not much more you need to replace on it.

I can't help with heater core but I would be glad to weld that cracked header up for you. Shoot me a PM.

Billy

XJ96Classic said:
thanks rob,

yeah, i was going to message mike, but i wanted to save him for some technical issue that i could work out myself with a little advice. he has helped me out before twice actually. great guy.

man i love my jeep, but i think there is a hex on it right now..

this is the past 6 months:

-first it was that power steering pump that came without the pin holding in the output shaft, up in big bear when i was supposed to be drinking with the rest of you. then there was the second ps pump that was leaking.

-starter that went on the top of santiago peak - 3am fix with flashlight in my mouth.

-water-pump

-brakes with brakelines

-oil pressure sensor broken off at a quick lube place.

-annoying issue that ended up just being a bad coil wire. but i broke a "extremely brittle" coolant fitting while fixing that at the side of the road.

- battery went bad, horn stopped working.

- cat sounded like a rattlesnake. replaced

- headers just cracked the rest of the way through on the trip to have the heatercore replaced. lol irony..

So now all i have to do is fix the rear gasket oil seal, replace a transmision fluid return line, and SELL IT IN "LIKE NEW" CONDITION

dreams of lockers, SYE, hitch, bumpers, rockrails, safari or rear tire carrier, something other than a 32x11.5 bouncing in the back. will have to wait... way way way too much money in this rig this year.

I guess if anyone wants to see me out on the trails again this year... some gracious donations or reduced prices for my rig would be very helpful. This is my only vehicle so i have to be somewhat responsible with her.

-Matt

Back