• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91+ Header for RENIX?

mattbred

NAXJA Forum User
Will the 91+ header's (APN, Banks, etc) work on a RENIX era 4.0L? Keep in mind that I have completley removed the EGR valve from my engine, so that is not a problem. Does it bolt up the same, and will the pipes route the same?

I know that the intake ports were raised in the High Output motor, but the exhaust remains the same, right, but what about the downpipe and such? Anyone tried this? It would be nice to know for absolute-sure that it'll work.

I believe the exhaust ports were left along until 1999/2000 (when they were reduced in the #0331 head,) and the manifold mounting flange remained relatively unchanged - although I'm getting a tickle in my mind about there being two different thicknesses of flange (3/8" and 1/2".) I can't swear to that last, but I should bring it up anyhow as something to watch out for (if I'm wrong, you don't need to do anything about it.)

As far as the shape of the header itself, I haven't been able to dig anything up on that yet. It may be easiest to just get a new downpipe made, or grab a later downpipe at the local yard (or find the both of them and compare - the EGR bung and HEGO sensor are both in the manifold proper, so there's no reason for the downpipe to change if the header stayed the same, deleting only the HEGO bung.)

I'd appreciate hearing whatever you do find out, though, and pix would be great (if possible for you...) But, those are my first thoughts.

i'm in the same boat as you and have been looking, searching, scrounging for any info i can find.
let us know what you find....

I have a 90 and 92 with a lot of extra stock headers and intake manifolds. The headers are the same thickness. I think the only challenge is the intake not the exhaust. But even that will work. The intake location pins on the heads of HO are in a different location than the non-HO head.

The short answer is No.

Although many around here might say yes, they didnt have to but the late model Banks that didnt fit, and eat the shipping costs.

Intake will not fit on above the header.

I dont know a solution other than local manufacture. One company still lists one as available (cant remember name) but I think I contacted everyone and the real answer was not available.

Shogun said:
The short answer is No.

Although many around here might say yes, they didnt have to but the late model Banks that didnt fit, and eat the shipping costs.

Intake will not fit on above the header.

I dont know a solution other than local manufacture. One company still lists one as available (cant remember name) but I think I contacted everyone and the real answer was not available.

So, is the flange on the later header "too tall" to allow the RENIX intake to sit down all the way? It's nice to have a definitive answer - I'd just like to back it up now (and know what, specifically, was wrong.)

5-90 said:
So, is the flange on the later header "too tall" to allow the RENIX intake to sit down all the way? It's nice to have a definitive answer - I'd just like to back it up now (and know what, specifically, was wrong.)
It hits the pipes. I have 2 APN's, one for renix and one for later models. I found out the hard way.

imma honky said:
It hits the pipes. I have 2 APN's, one for renix and one for later models. I found out the hard way.
I too found out the hard way last year and ended up just putting an HO intake manifold on. Solved that problem, but opened up a whole new world of mismatched porting problems.

I've heard the pacesetter header's aren't very good.

Well this blows - I wonder if there's a way to make it fit? I doubt it. Bah.

imma honky said:

Just to make sure I'm seeing this right (since you probably don't have pix handy...) are the primaries on the exhaust hitting the underside of the intake runners, then? How much interference was there? Would the "lifting" of the intake ports 5/8" probably have given enough room?

5-90 said:
Just to make sure I'm seeing this right (since you probably don't have pix handy...) are the primaries on the exhaust hitting the underside of the intake runners, then? How much interference was there? Would the "lifting" of the intake ports 5/8" probably have given enough room?
I will check for you tomorrow. I have an engine on a stand that I use for testing things, but I have to scrounge up an intake. I will try to snap some pics if I can get a good enough angle.

Ok, here's a no brainer. If it's high mileage, get an HO head and have a valve job done, then use the HO intake and Borla, Thorley, whoever elses non-cracking header. One guy local has gone through an insane amount of Banks headers. I have had no problems with a Borla on my 91. Head swap shouldn't be an issue, but don't quote me on this. The HO heads flow better, so you'll see a nice increase in power with both the head/header. Of course I went with 91-95 for this reason. :)

markw said:
Ok, here's a no brainer. If it's high mileage, get an HO head and have a valve job done, then use the HO intake and Borla, Thorley, whoever elses non-cracking header. One guy local has gone through an insane amount of Banks headers. I have had no problems with a Borla on my 91. Head swap shouldn't be an issue, but don't quote me on this. The HO heads flow better, so you'll see a nice increase in power with both the head/header. Of course I went with 91-95 for this reason. :)

Problem with switching heads is you then need a new throttle body, injectors etc. Nevermind the fact that you need the head itself. That'd be very expensive upgrade just to install a header. By the way, the reason that guy might be cracking his header's is because his engine mounts might be shot. Just a thought.

Be nice if we could get a decent header for the RENIX head jimmy rigged in some how.

Ask and yee' shall receive!
Here you go 5-90
Best I could do, hope it helps.
I bolted the APN non-renix header to the head, and held the renix intake.
Even if you shaved off a significant amount, it would still hit the exhaust runners.

Here is the HO header
2244565APNNON-RENIX.jpg

Here is the RENIX header
2244566APNRENIX.jpg

Here is a pic of the cut and welded EGR tube I did.
2244567APNRENIXplugged.jpg

Over top comparison
2244568Headerscompared.jpg

First runners
2244569Nofit1.jpg

Second runners
2244571Nofit2.jpg

Third runners
2244572Nofit3.jpg

Fourth runners
2244573Nofit4.jpg

OK - so it looks about like the header primaries managed to turn up about a half-inch, which means that the intake ports being raised was definitely a factor. I don't understand why they'd bother to do it (not enough to matter for resonant tuning, and it's not an "equal-length" anyhow,) but there it is.

Would it be possible for you to email full-size versions of those pix to my NAXJA.org email addy? I'd like to keep them for reference, and I'm fairly sure you resized them before you posted them... 5-90 AT naxja DOT org. Thank you!

Back