• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tune up kits?

88trailcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
I see this Accel tune up kit in the Quadratec book. $82.99 inlucdes plugs, wires, wires, dist. cap and rotor. Good idea? Bad idea? or just get stuff at the Zone?

bad idea. Get all that stuff local and it should cost nowhere near $80.

plugs=$1 each
wires=around $20
cap and rotor=around $10

total= $36 give or take $10.

Jess is right. Go ahead and spend the money locally.

I run a mix of part from different stores not to be difficult/picky or to waste time as my wife claims but because the parts meet my personal specs.
This is what works for me.
Plugs------I run Autolight plugs. Yes they are cheaper than some would like but they burn clean in my XJ and I get good service life.

Wires------Life time top of the line SS solid core wire from the Zone.

CAP and rotor -------are by WELLS the HD red ones with brass post. Zone or O'Rileys depends. Ive tried the cheap stuff made with aluminum post and they just dont hold up for me.

Air filter is K&N .....nuff said.

bottom line is choose your parts wisely and you will be a happy camper.

One more thing, invest in a good set of spark plug wire brackets and seperators they helped me get rid of a stumbling idle and really extended the service life of my wires.

hope this helps.

Back