• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumper Valence... Take it Off?

ty20404

NAXJA Forum User
What negative side effects are there of taking off the lower portion of the front bumper? Like just below the stock metal section... Keep in mind that I do a lot of highway driving... 150 miles from school to home... Usually 700 miles to Syracuse, NY in the summer...

Will it kill my mileage is pretty much what I'm asking...

Extremely good point... Haha.

Jeep Cherokee - The Flying Brick!

That would be a funny as hell if someone painted their Cherokee w/ a Brick Pattern.

Or just red bedliner!

As you remove it say to yourself..."This is the first step to my Buggy"

:guitar:

i removed it and trimmed the bottoms of the end caps and it looks alot better and i drive on the highway everyday and dont notice a thing.

yeah, i told myself last christmas that the 3" was all I was doing...

look where I am now...

I've got an adjustable trac bar and sway bar drop bracket in my dorm room, two leaf packs at the fraternity house, LCAs in the mail, and still looking for coils to complete the kit...

not to mention some other parts that I'll have to get when I do the lift.

this is 3" w/ 31's. ripping that plastic off and trimming the front bumper was a huge improvement on looks and it helps with approach angles too. just make sure you keep the rubber splash guard, it helps keep the alternator dry and engine bay clean.
149gx6.jpg

150yp9.jpg

I drove mine like this for a couple of months, no change in mileage, it still sucked!

And yes those shackles are junk! They have been replaced with the good ones.

A brick is a brick, but its hard to break a brick!

backbone8nv8.jpg

Do you have a side view of it? Im 90% of the way to wanting to do this same thing, just not sure how it will look there the endcap wrapped around...

Not full side on, but here is one with out the bumper. I'll find one with the bumper.

backbone7qw4.jpg

This was taken after a recent trip to Crozet VA, rough trail ride, check out the bent slider made from 3/16" 2x4 and attached to the frame and pinch seam!
bentsliderhp1.jpg

Last edited:
BADaXJ said:
... just make sure you keep the rubber splash guard, it helps keep the alternator dry and engine bay clean.

I'm about to install a Rusty's front skid. Will I still need the splash guard?

Dave

CantonXJ said:
I'm about to install a Rusty's front skid. Will I still need the splash guard?

Dave

I don't know how the Rustys is constructed but with the factory engine skid you realy do not need the splash guard.

Back