• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Coolant

RShotl

NAXJA Forum User
Does the brand/type of antifreeze matter?

Should I mix it evenly with water, or pour which stronger?

4.0L engine, about to be very cold

I wouldn't go with a white labeled generic bottle off the local hardware store shelf, but the 4.0 isn't too picky. Get a decent brand of coolant that says it's safe with all types, and a couple gallons of DISTILLED water. A 50/50 mix will be fine, and it is easier to measure it out if it is mixed in a separate container.

Dont forget, after you flush the system, you will have only water left in it. Therefore, take your system total capacity and divide by 2. Add that amount of antifreeze and fill the rest up with distilled water. Of course if you are only draining what you can, then go ahead and fill it with 50/50. An antifreeze tester might be handy to determine the concentration of what's in there.

Just in case your wondering why everyone says distilled, it's because it has fewer dissolved solids. If you use tap water all kinds of Calcium build up will happen in your engine and radiator, therefore not letting heat tranfer effciently. I wish someone told this to the guy I bought my xj from.

rockclimber24315 said:
Just in case your wondering why everyone says distilled, it's because it has fewer dissolved solids. If you use tap water all kinds of Calcium build up will happen in your engine and radiator, therefore not letting heat tranfer effciently. I wish someone told this to the guy I bought my xj from.

Yeah same here, 'cept I'm pretty sure I've got one of those XJ's that has just a browny muddy looking rad fluid problem. Its not milky from oil being in it, Its just sludge from using what looks like stream water to top it up from the previous owner :gee:

Throttle said:
Yeah same here, 'cept I'm pretty sure I've got one of those XJ's that has just a browny muddy looking rad fluid problem. Its not milky from oil being in it, Its just sludge from using what looks like stream water to top it up from the previous owner :gee:

That stuff will flush out, using cider vineager as a flush.......

Not my idea. Eagle originally turned me on to it. Works VERY well for that brown/rusty looking stuff.

To the OP, the cooling system hold 12 quarts total. or 3 gallons.

w_howey said:
That stuff will flush out, using cider vineager as a flush.......

Not my idea. Eagle originally turned me on to it. Works VERY well for that brown/rusty looking stuff.

To the OP, the cooling system hold 12 quarts total. or 3 gallons.

How much cider vineager do I use???

Throttle said:
How much cider vineager do I use???

I used a 1 quart bottle.... Ran the Jeep around for a day with the vinegar in the cooling system and then drained and flushed the engine.

When I refilled I used 'water wetter', coolant and distilled water. Haven't had the problem since.

50/50 Prestone, distilled. Get the mix right - more AF and the cooling system will actually be LESS efficient.

Anything other than distilled and the inside of your block will end up covered in deposits.

Back