• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hp44 knuckle question

andyxj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to be upgrading to a ball joint high pinion dana 44 front axle in my cherokee. The particular axle I have access to has drum brakes, which will be converted. My question is will a chevy outer knuckle (ball joint 44) interchange with the ford outer knuckle (ball joint, drum brake 44)?

andyxj said:
I'm going to be upgrading to a ball joint high pinion dana 44 front axle in my cherokee. The particular axle I have access to has drum brakes, which will be converted. My question is will a chevy outer knuckle (ball joint 44) interchange with the ford outer knuckle (ball joint, drum brake 44)?

Yes, you can put a Chevy outer knuckle on a ford HPD44 axle. BUT, the Chevy knuckle needs a Chevy spindle (6 bolt as opposed to the Ford 5 bolt design) and the outer axleshafts differ by 1/4". I don't remember which is longer, but you can use the longer shaft in both Chevy and Ford applications. To maintain the 5 on 5.5" lug pattern, you can run a Ford rotor on this combo, using the Chevy caliper.

Yup, like said above, you can swap it no problem. Also like mentioned, ford spindles are longer, chevys are shorter.

Back