• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine

CrazyChef110 said:
can I put a 99 engine ina 00 xj easily?

You should be able to - mechanically.

The only area of confusion that I see is that the WJ and TJ versions of the 242 got COP ignition for 1999, and the XJ in 2000. Therefore, if it's a 99XJ engine going into a 00XJ, you'll need to either swap the head out or make adapter brackets to support the COP "coil rail" - which has been covered here, with pictures.

Please tell me you only hit "submit" once...

i just did this about a month ago, straightforward swap if you know a couple of things up front.

Three problems you will run into that i know of, not major, and the only ones i know of. First is the coil rail ignition system has no way to bolt on the engine block. There is a great write-up on here about making some brackets for it, thats what i did took little time and has served the purpose well.

Second is the distributorless igntion system still has to be indexed, it took me a couple of days of searching to figure this one out. If you need help with it PM me, ill walk you through it.

Finally is the exhaust manifold in the 2000 is a 2 piece, the 99 is a one piece. I opted not to go with the 99 and keep the 2000 exhaust which is an option except the head of the 99 has larger exhaust ports and you will get leaks. Searching will provide a member that sells an adapter plate for this purpose, i am going to be purchasing a header for a 99 with a new downpipe.

Other than that, there are no surprises!! Enjoy

Back