• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Softer riding leafs?

aaronm88

NAXJA Forum User
95 XJ RE 3.5 Superflex + 2 spacer on front 33x9.5 BFG ATs

Thinking about lowering the lift a little and putting on 31s to make it a little more daily-driver friendly. I drive it 200+ miles a week to school and the gas is just killing me. Question is are there some softer riding leafs out there that still give 3" of lift?

The RE superflexes are great quality and ive been nothing but happy with them butthey ride pretty rough and i gotta face the facts, im only wheeling about 5% of the time and i need something better as a DD, but i dont want to completely castrate my XJ.

Thanks, AM

As far as the ride goes, what shocks are you running? Softer shocks may help the ride.
And have you regeared since you added the 33s? Regearing my help the milage.
But if you plan on making it more of a DD, OME is probably your best bet, but it can be pricey.

OME springs....you'll have to get their heavy duty springs to get 3" of lift, but from what I've heard, even the HD springs from OME ride amazingly comfortable....flex well too for the other 5% you mentioned!

aaronm88 said:
AAL? whats that stand for?

By the way, i do have kind of cheap crappy shocks. What is a softer riding option for them?

Thanks a lot.

AAL=Add a leaf
OME makes a special leaf you can add to their pack for more lift/firmer ride.
The OME Nitro Charger shocks are very nice. I don't think there's much argument that OME gives the nicest ride, though the amount of lift available is somewhat limited.

Deaver or OME

Do a bastard pack with the stock XJ leaves and some other leaves... Use the XJ main leaf, and then two more leafs from a pack that has more arch in it. (I'm going to be going that way over christmas with Tacoma leaves). Typically Stock stuff rides softer than anything else.

And I'm running OME on my Cherokee at 3"... Definitely the smoothest riding cherokee I've ridden in, and I know a lot of people w/ lifted and stock cherokees.

I have some 6.5 rough country springs and rusty's shocks that ride really well.

Before that i had rusty's AAL and there 3 inch shocks that rode pretty soft too. BUt the ALL and stock pack can't take real abbuse, but at 5% it wouldn't be a problem. Another option is to add a nice bumper and full size spare to the rear of your XJ... From what i've seen RE is designed with the thoughts of heavier bumpers tires and gear.

My buddy has the same lift and its also rough. Bumpers, shackles and a good sound system and i'll have him set up a little better this winter... and he has RE shocks

I had the same rear leafs and the ride was too stiff for DD.
Ended up removing the thicker (5/16") RE main leaf and replacing it with a stock (1/4") XJ main leaf. Lost almost a inch but made up for it with a extended shackle. YMMV

I had the same rear leafs and the ride was too stiff for DD.
Ended up removing the thicker (5/16") RE main leaf and replacing it with a stock (1/4") XJ main leaf. Lost almost a inch but made up for it with a extended shackle. YMMV

OP,

Are you still running the stock shackle? I just swaped from a bastard pack and stock shackles to RE 3.5" leafs and there 1" shackle and the thing rides like it did stock. The stocke shackle is not not long enough to give the spring free movement. A boomerang shackle setup would be ideal. BTW im only running DT 3000 shocks.

Back