• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions on these winches...

xj_mike

NAXJA Forum User
So I am looking to buy a winch but at the same time the money tree has not popped up in my back yard, so cost is somewhat an issue.

4 Wheel Parts has some listed that look to be in my price range so I want to get some opinions on these models. For reference, this is main for personal recovery if I am out alone. Mostly expedition type driving, not trail crawling, if it makes a difference.

Smittybilt XRC-8, 8,000 lb, $300
Mile Marker MX8, 8,000 lb, $400
Warn M8000, 8,000 lb, $550 (pushing price limits)

Thoughts?

I have the smittybilt.
it worked great the times I used it.
it's for sure not a fast winch... at all.
but it gets the job done well.
I would suggest getting it.
plus the remote is a billion times better than the milemarker
not that this is a deciding factor but just a plus

Ramsey has my business forever.

I grenaded one, sent it to them, they sent me back a brand new one, no questions asked. It was out of warranty, and had been modified. They had every reason to say "no way, get bent", but they didn't. They sent me a brand new winch, and because of that, I'll always buy a Ramsey.

Just my $.02.

R

Edit: Exception: On my '84 CJ-7, I have a Warn 8274, which is more of a "period correct" thing than a winch.

WildernessJeep said:
Ramsey has my business forever.

I grenaded one, sent it to them, they sent me back a brand new one, no questions asked. It was out of warranty, and had been modified. They had every reason to say "no, get bent", but they didn't. They sent me a brand new winch, and because of that, I'll always buy a Ramsey.

Just my $.02.

R

We've used my buddies Ramsey 9000 hard with our full size trucks. I'm putting a Ramsey 8.5 into my new TnT bumper on the XJ.

if you go smitty save yourself 15 bucks

http://www.winchdepot.com/PDT296594.aspx

i got one and sold it to a friend because i am doing some other mods and am not trail riding for a while and it looked decent for what you get - it is hard to beat the warn though - i had an xd900i with a syn rope set up - wish i never sold it

i bought a used m8000 that is atleast 12 years old, sat on the front of a truck for the first 5 or so. took it apart to rebuild it and all that needed replacing was the cast drum support, which had correded. i was in awe of the mechanical condition. it is also much faster than i expected... i don't have much experience with winches, but i have seen that warns are built to last.

Im not going to get into a winch debate because the only winch Ive had personal experience with is Warn and its my choice all the way but it sounds like that may be cost prohibitive. I will give some related advice. Whichever winch you choose, make sure to keep some money back for accessories such as a couple snatch blocks, many D rings, straps, cable extensions and a Pull Pal if you wheel where you dont have access to anchors. Any winch will pull cable in but without proper accessories, you may find yourself in a situation where your winch is nearly worthless, especially if you wheel alone.
So keep a couple hundred back so you can accessorize your winch well.

In that price range, you can buy a used Warn 8274 and have a very strong, fast, dependable, and easily rebuilable winch that will outlast your rig. Then you can usually resell it for what you paid for it.

A winch is a winch. You get what you pay for.

I know folks that run the Chicago Electric and have had no problems.

Myself, I run a Warn 9000 I use it on at least a weekly basis, it hasn't failed me yet.

If you need a winch for just self recovery once in a while, get an el-cheapo.

If you use your winch a lot... you get what you pay for.

Decide what you need and then pay accordingly.

I'll help the guy out. You can't go wrong with this winch, it's (right now) inside your budget, and like another poster said, you'll probably sell it for more than you paid for it, as long as it's well cared for.

7954_1.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/Warn-Winch-Model-8274_W0QQitemZ250184041867QQihZ015QQcategoryZ66938QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
Back