• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

many issues...

trintek

NAXJA Forum User
Welp, back from big bend and towed my xj back to san antonio... i got it running last night for a bit, but it's as rough as ever..

The jeep is an 84 xj 4cyl standard.. the rats ate half my wiring so i will be removing everything non-essential and rewiring the entire jeep.. still not sure if i am going to bypass the air injection tubes and add a catalytic converter.. but i guess my main questions are these...

what all is involved in doing a nutter bypass on this jeep, and does anyone have a link to good writeup on it?

what all does the computer handle on something this old?
i plan on getting rid of all the gauges except battery and fuel, and maybe adding an ammeter later..

what all can be eliminated in the way of wiring, vacuum lines, etc?
am planning on just cutting down to basics, stripping down to the firewall...

the jeep actually faired pretty well out in the desert, only lost one cv joint during the storms (front passenger axle), computer was waterlogged a few times, but was acting up well before that happened... and had a house crash into my rear end (amazing what wind can do).. i brought it back, hooked the fuel line back up (had emptied the gas tank and run it dry before i left it parked for a year), checked the oil and coolant levels, and it started right up :) i really want to cut out everything non-essential though before i take it back up there as it is being used as a search and rescue vehicle and as transport for some of the residents when they can't make it off their land to the hospital or to the nearest town for supplies.

thanx in advance,
trin

Back