• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The best catalytic converter

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
For the past few years I haven't run catalytic converters on any of my Jeeps. My 90 XJ didn't have one when it ran, my 88 MJ still doesn't have one, and my 99 XJ's was hollowed out under the previous owner's discretion. I want to reinstall a fuctional one on the 99 again. It drones really bad and you can tell that the cat has been hollowed by the noise and smell. I get it out of it smelling like I do when I'm in my dad's '48 Packard, it has an excuse but my Jeep really doesn't. What is everyone using for converters that still run them? I don't need a high flow unit, I just want a stock type one that has the 02 sensor bung and will last a good, long time. Any suggestions?

I'm running the magnaflow cat - yes, it has an O2 bung...i couldnt be happier with it + my twister exhaust....

JNickel101 said:
I'm running the magnaflow cat - yes, it has an O2 bung...i couldnt be happier with it + my twister exhaust....
Did you go through Summit and if so which Magnaflow model did you get? The one for the 97-99 Wrangler?

97XJ Jeeper said:
yeah thats MY XJ, its the cheap Magnaflow cat from Summit. Its high flow and has the O2 sensor bung and it was around $65-$70 i think/
Is it fairly respectable noise at highway speed? I know when I've run catless and had a Flowmaster 40 in the past it was way loud. I suppose having some cat even with it being a high flow unit helps though.

I have the Super 40 and it is alot quieter in the cab than the reg 40, and with the cat it is loud out side but not inside.

97XJ Jeeper said:
I have the Super 40 and it is alot quieter in the cab than the reg 40, and with the cat it is loud out side but not inside.
Yeah your XJ sounds awesome, if you end up in Des Moines, I want to hear it in person.

I have a magnaflow on my 92 xj and its a very nice piece. My 87 has a catco cat which was also very nice but a little more in price. Both were purchased from summit. Both were mated up to 4.0L with dynomax catbacks.

The catco made a difference on my 87 as my old cat was on the way out. I got lost power back and much better gas mileage. I can't really tell the difference on my 92 as my old cat was in decent shape still.

90PioSport99 said:
Yeah your XJ sounds awesome, if you end up in Des Moines, I want to hear it in person.
Not a problem, I will be up there sometime in the next few weeks for a meeting. I will pm ya and let ya know date and time I'll be able to meet ya some where.
Carl
97XJ Jeeper
NAXJA

Back