• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disadvantages of a TJ D44 front?

BlueGerbil

NAXJA Forum User
  • My XJ is sitting on 35" tires, no plans to make it bigger.
  • I´ve got a Ford 8.8 in the rear, so I think this should be OK.
  • I´ve got an trussed D30 (open) in the the front and don´t feel to comfortable about that.
  • I´ve got an offer for a TJ Dana44 front axle for an reasonable price and I´m unsure if I should take it and bolt it in or if I should spend money on the D30.
  • I was thinking about the yukon chromoly axles for the D30 and a 30spline ARB locker before I´ve got the D44 offer
It´s a money thing, I´d like to have a Currie-built custom axle, but that´s out of reach. If I´d get a Ford D44 from a pickup (hard to get in Germany) I have to pay somebody to shorten it and to weld the brackets.

The TJ D44 is a "bolt in" thing so I´d save some $$$ here.

What are the disadvantes of the axle? Sure, I´ve got "only" the 30spline axles and u-joints of a pimped Dana 30, but I´ve got the bigger ring&pinion - and that´s the point I´m worried about on my current D30.

TJ's didnt come with a D44 only the Rubicon's.

its an low pinion

Yeah the only thing is you would now have a low pinion, and from what I've READ (not experience) is that people would rather have a high pinion 30 than a low pinion 44.

Ive seen a few in the junkyards (No Rubi's yet) , I figure the bracketry would be different but I want to go measure the width. I think they will become a good choice once they become more readily available and more aftermarket support.

D44 is a Rubi Axle and has a Air locker so make sure you get the compressor, and your gears match up cause believe all Rubi's have 4.10 gears. But if its cheap deal go for it ....

TJ owner and just picked up a XJ for wife new project
eD

Last edited:
BlueGerbil said:
  • My XJ is sitting on 35" tires, no plans to make it bigger.
  • I´ve got a Ford 8.8 in the rear, so I think this should be OK.
  • I´ve got an trussed D30 (open) in the the front and don´t feel to comfortable about that.
  • I´ve got an offer for a TJ Dana44 front axle for an reasonable price and I´m unsure if I should take it and bolt it in or if I should spend money on the D30.
  • I was thinking about the yukon chromoly axles for the D30 and a 30spline ARB locker before I´ve got the D44 offer
It´s a money thing, I´d like to have a Currie-built custom axle, but that´s out of reach. If I´d get a Ford D44 from a pickup (hard to get in Germany) I have to pay somebody to shorten it and to weld the brackets.

The TJ D44 is a "bolt in" thing so I´d save some $$$ here.

What are the disadvantes of the axle? Sure, I´ve got "only" the 30spline axles and u-joints of a pimped Dana 30, but I´ve got the bigger ring&pinion - and that´s the point I´m worried about on my current D30.

I have a Rubicon front D44 in my xj. It works great on 35's with the factory air locker. Like mentioned above if the price is right then go for it. Otherwise you may want to look into aftermarket front 44's.

MoparManiac said:
Yeah the only thing is you would now have a low pinion, and from what I've READ (not experience) is that people would rather have a high pinion 30 than a low pinion 44.

Village wisdom?

I run a GM LP D-44, 5.38's, ARB, Moser 4340 inners, Superior 4140 outers, GM Flat Top knuckles, GM Spindles, Ford Hubs and Rotors, 15x8 Allied Beadlocks (5x5.5BC) and 38 TSL/SXs.
I would Never consider anything like that on a D-30 HP or otherwise.

MoparManiac said:

Village wisdom?

I run a GM LP D-44, 5.38's, ARB, Moser 4340 inners, Superior 4140 outers, GM Flat Top knuckles, GM Spindles, Ford Hubs and Rotors, 15x8 Allied Beadlocks (5x5.5BC) and 38 TSL/SXs.
I would Never consider anything like that on a D-30 HP or otherwise.

Is there any other bolt-in D44 other than the TJ Rubi's D44? And....are the knuckles on the Rubi's D44 that offers the 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern propriatry to the Rubi's axle, or the same as the D30's?

Like I said from what I've READ on this website people seem to prefer high pinion 30s than low pinion 44s. But from you're setup sounds like thats bad info.

gorman said:
Is there any other bolt-in D44 other than the TJ Rubi's D44? And....are the knuckles on the Rubi's D44 that offers the 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern propriatry to the Rubi's axle, or the same as the D30's?
D30 and D44 same Axle housing only diffrence is on Rubi you get biger Axles at 32 spline not 27 like stock TJ , get 4.10 gears and air locker.

TJ D30 and Rubi D44 front axle is the same all the way around but what I just posted

even with the rubi axle you're still going to have the same outers/hubs and u joints as the D30.

so all the stuff that breaks on the outer part of the axle on a D30, is the same as a TJ Rubi 44, so it will break too.

Back