• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disconnect to solid axle seal #'s

jeepboy381

NAXJA Forum User
So I converted to a 1 piece axle and eliminated my vacume disconnect. I used the rusty's block off plate kit with their seal which was the wrong one. I got the seal to fit at the vacume disconnect housing but the axle shaft is not machined there so it didn't seal up all the way and leaked. I am trying to find the right seal now that will install where it should be by the differential. Nothing fits, does anyone have any item numbers that might work?
Here is what I have tried and none of these work!:flamemad:

I want a seal that fits right, I don't want to have to grind the seal down to make it fit right. Please help me out here!! Thanks

jmaxj said:
you got to grind the housing till the seal fits.
I would rather not redneck install this, there has to be someone out there that found the right seal number. They have to make a seal in this size!!

jeepboy381 said:
I would rather not redneck install this, there has to be someone out there that found the right seal number. They have to make a seal in this size!!
maybe it's not redneck it getting something not intended to fit, to fit, everybody i know thats done it all had to do that to get the seal to fit, me i just swapped axles:D

jmaxj said:
maybe it's not redneck it getting something not intended to fit, to fit, everybody i know thats done it all had to do that to get the seal to fit, me i just swapped axles:D
Yeah I was also thinking about just swapping to a non disco axle but then I would have to swap my ARB and gears over as well. I don't want to spend $300.00 to fix a $8.00 axle seal if you know what I mean! Maybe I will have to resort to the grinder, I will try finding a different seal first though. Here is my list.

What I have tried that didn't work
473228 2.506 OD "way to big"
405765 no info "could fit with some grinding"
11899 2.128 OD "to big"
11878 2.066 OD "to big"
11343 2.004 OD "to big"
11771 2.000 OD "to big"

What I know of so far that I have not tried

11776 or 473426 1.987 OD "possibly the only one that might fit" 1.187 ID
471747 1.987 OD also "might also fit. 1.125 ID"
11585 1.879 OD "no one has tried this but I might"

Hopefully I figure this out tomarrow, I have to work on this outside and it is going to rain.....how fun!

Last edited:
Shogun said:
I thought I read that Warn makes a kit. Maybe they will sell the seal?
I called Warn when someone suggested that. They told me that they wouldnt sell me the seals because they were part of the kit. They gave me part numbers though. Looks like you already tried one though.

Sierra 11343
Spicer 46470

Where are these seals supposed to go? Axle tube going into the diff, and then outer side of the disco housing?

There is a seal that fits - I did this earlier this year. I will try to find the part number from you - I got mine at Napa

IIRC, I went into Napa with the ID of the axle tube and the OD of the axle shaft. He looked it up in a catalog and we got as close as possible which was very close. Been in there since summer and all my gear oil is still in the diff.

I'll try to find the part # for the seal i used but can't promise anything. In retrospect i should have kept that number handy for myself.....

Oh, and what is this rusty's block off kit? I removed the vac motor and stock axles and just made a metal plate to fit over the opening. sealed it with the 'right stuff' sealant and its all good....

I got alloy usa 's for my d30 same thing goiunf from disco to a one peice, he forgot to send me the block off plate and seal, I'm across border so he just gave me the seal number, I have yet to install it though national#471763, 2" od, fits old shaft tight

bcmaxx said:
I got alloy usa 's for my d30 same thing goiunf from disco to a one peice, he forgot to send me the block off plate and seal, I'm across border so he just gave me the seal number, I have yet to install it though national#471763, 2" od, fits old shaft tight
That seal is way to big for me, it had an OD of 2.004. I tried Part # 11771 with an OD of 1.996 and it was still way to big! When I figure this thing out I am going to post up a once and for all list of seal numbers with sizes. I believe the seal that is going to work for me is going to be SKF #11776 1.188 ID X 1.983 OD.

fuzzydog said:
Oh, and what is this rusty's block off kit? I removed the vac motor and stock axles and just made a metal plate to fit over the opening. sealed it with the 'right stuff' sealant and its all good....
It is just what is says it is. www.rustysoffroad.com sells it and it includes a blockoff plate like you made and a seal. After buying it though I have yet to find someone who had the seal fit in like it was supposed to, they had to use a grinder to make it fit. I would have made my own block off plate but I didn't have any steel, torch or plasma, or grinder to do it with so it would have been pretty hard to make one!

Does anyone know the inner axle tube id, next to the diff on the passenger side??,

bcmaxx said:
Does anyone know the inner axle tube id, next to the diff on the passenger side??,
From what I understand since that area of the axle tube is not machined and it is pressed into the housing the ID will vary. I just ordered seal number 11776 and we will see if it works tonight. Most of the seals mentiond are around 2" OD, they have all been to big to work on my axle.

The seal my supplier said to use is 1.125 x2.00. Had I known it would have been this much of a pita , I' would have kept my non disco axle housing and just strengthened it

jeepboy381 said:
Yeah I was also thinking about just swapping to a non disco axle but then I would have to swap my ARB and gears over as well. I don't want to spend $300.00 to fix a $8.00 axle seal if you know what I mean! Maybe I will have to resort to the grinder, I will try finding a different seal first though. Here is my list.

What I have tried that didn't work
473228 2.506 OD "way to big"
405765 no info "could fit with some grinding"
11899 2.128 OD "to big"
11878 2.066 OD "to big"
11343 2.004 OD "to big"
11771 2.000 OD "to big"

What I know of so far that I have not tried

11776 or 473426 1.987 OD "possibly the only one that might fit" 1.187 ID
471747 1.987 OD also "might also fit. 1.125 ID"
11585 1.879 OD "no one has tried this but I might"

Hopefully I figure this out tomarrow, I have to work on this outside and it is going to rain.....how fun!
i hear what you are saying but figure all this time you've spent trying to find a seal when you could have got a dremel and spent an hour or so and got it to fit, that is what i'm saying.

Very true but now that I spent the time and everything goes together the way it should I will feel much better! :roll: That is if I ever find the right seal!! I got this far though so I am pretty determined. If this was my daily driver I would of had to just grind it out so I could get it together but it is not so I can take my time.

I just did the same swap last weekend and ran into the same problem. I finally found a seal at CarQuest that fit. It is seal 40576s, which I assume is similar, if not the same, as your above mentioned 405765. I have an extra seal in the garage that I just checked with digital clipers and it's outside diameter is 2.000 and I could not get it to give me a varience either side of that more then a thousandth. It fit for me but I had to do some intensive cleaning and I used a piece of emery cloth to clean up the surfaces. It did fit and was tight. Hope this helps ya. Oh yeah, I was putting in the one piece axle out of a 99 into a disco from a 87 XJ if that makes a difference.

Mine is a daily driver so I'm hoping this time my seal does work, I can only work on my truck after hours and of course when the jobbers are closed. My boss would kill me if I tied up a hoist for a day. If not die grinder time!!!

Back