• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new problem

xj151

NAXJA Forum User
i just cured my crappy idle and diying problem. now when idiling when i give it gas it almost dies then revs up. it also like dont know how to describe it but backfires at the air box. what gives

My 87 used to do that under either of two conditions: first, a mis-adjusted TPS, and second, issues with connectors.

As a first step, I'd recommend unplugging and replugging every single connector you can find in the engine compartment. Those Renix systems seem to be very sensitive to slight resistance in connections. I know it sounds silly, but it often seems to help.

Second, check the TPS settings. Search here and I think you'll find the procedure. I post my paraphrase of the service bulletin instructions here periodically, but I'm away from home and don't have it handy to copy and paste.

Back