• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wacky Turn signal problem

1990XJ4x4

NAXJA Member #1158
The turn signals work perfectly when the headlights are off and the marker lights are off.

When I turn the marker lights or headlights on, only the right side will flash and the left indicator on the dash stays on.

I have replaced all the bulbs, both flashers, cleaned out every terminal and used dielectric grease and it still isn't working.

Left turn signals are handy to have, any ideas?

I tried using the amber ones and they didn't work correctly, so I used the clear ones and they worked correctly. Had the same problem that had something to do with the headlights being on or off

Check the light sockets.Pull them out of the housing and look to see if the ground terminal is still there.My 87 ,the terminal had rusted away so there was no longer any contact point.
Wayne

Sometimes a fused or corroded headlight switch will cause all kinds of electrical problems. Mine was half melted, caused everything from dim headlights to intermitent brake light failure. Check all your grounds for good connections too.

Well, I just replaced the headlight switch (the old one was melted and corroded) and both flashers with electronic ones, checked all my fuses, cleaned every socket, tried grounding each socket directly to the battery, and replaced every bulb and it is still acting up. What am I missing?

I GOT IT!

Even tho the sockets looked clean and had clean contacts, the guts that were hidden behind plastic were shot. I replaced all 4 in the front with genaric ones from autozone and it works. Now to get the motor to run...

:party:

1990XJ4x4 said:
I GOT IT!

Even tho the sockets looked clean and had clean contacts, the guts that were hidden behind plastic were shot. I replaced all 4 in the front with genaric ones from autozone and it works. Now to get the motor to run...

:party:
Bitchen' you may have helped me find my problem too!

Thanks.

Back