• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does your jeep start without clutch depressed?

andrew2516

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering...mine is a 93 4.0 ax15 and I don't have to start my jeep with the clutch pressed in. Do all jeeps come like this or did they change it around after a certain year?

my 87 will start in gear, with the clutch engaged. The starter hates me for it, but sometimes that's what you gotta do when you stall it and can't do the 3 footed dance.

My 96 Xj starts with out the Clutch depresses.
My 00 TJ does Not. It has a Clutch interlock switch, cluch pedal must be down to start.

'97xj, clutch has to be depressed. it's easy to by-pass, there's a switch right where the pedal hooks into the linkage/ mounts.
my friends '96 will start in gear. perhaps they added the switch in '97...

My 1989 starts in gear, without the clutch depressed. A good thing when your master cylinder goes out. I had to drive 300 miles once without a clutch on a Sunday to get home. It gives you a chance to practice the finer skills of driving. :)

deisenba said:
My 1989 starts in gear, without the clutch depressed. A good thing when your master cylinder goes out. I had to drive 300 miles once without a clutch on a Sunday to get home. It gives you a chance to practice the finer skills of driving. :)
yeah, I've done that too.

all the fun of starting it in first everytime I got to a damned stop sign.

Most later-model vehicles have a "clutch interlock switch" (roughly equivalent to the NSS) that will not allow the starter solenoid to get current without pressing the clutch pedal.

This thing is ridiculously easy to remove or bypass - and most people who work on their own rigs do so at some point (either because they feel they don't need the thing - like me - or it fails and they can't be arsed replacing it.)

It's a "safety device" that is meant to supplement the "Number One Safety Device" - the one between your ears. If that one works, why for do you need the fiddlin' stuff we're saddled with?

5-90 said:
Most later-model vehicles have a "clutch interlock switch" (roughly equivalent to the NSS) that will not allow the starter solenoid to get current without pressing the clutch pedal.

This thing is ridiculously easy to remove or bypass - and most people who work on their own rigs do so at some point (either because they feel they don't need the thing - like me - or it fails and they can't be arsed replacing it.)

It's a "safety device" that is meant to supplement the "Number One Safety Device" - the one between your ears. If that one works, why for do you need the fiddlin' stuff we're saddled with?
yeah, I got rid of mine. It's nice to have the option to limp in emergency situation on the starter :)

andrew2516 said:
Just wondering...mine is a 93 4.0 ax15 and I don't have to start my jeep with the clutch pressed in. Do all jeeps come like this or did they change it around after a certain year?

I can also start my 93 in gear, which is a good thing on the trail.

Rob $.02

DaffyXJ said:
My 96 Xj starts with out the Clutch depresses.
My 00 TJ does Not. It has a Clutch interlock switch, cluch pedal must be down to start.

My 02 TJ had the clutch interlock. All I had to do was pull a fuse from behind the glovebox and the interlock went away :D It's in the owners manual, 97+ XJs may be the same.

Well, you could say, that was my FIRST mod (if you consider it an actual mod) I did when I got my Jeep. Used to have to depress the clutch whther in gear or neutral....believe it or not, the owners manual of all things told me how to bypass it. Jeep must realize that some people will actually use their Jeeps offroad and may need this feature.

Now, I can start it in or out of gear without depressing the clutch!

87manche said:
my 87 will start in gear, with the clutch engaged. The starter hates me for it, but sometimes that's what you gotta do when you stall it and can't do the 3 footed dance.

lol, :laugh:

Back