• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need quick answer! (dented oil pan)

CameronB

NAXJA Forum User
Just noticed that my oil pan is dented in, in the middle of the lowest hanging portion of the pan. Been driving on if for 2 days unaware.
It's dented 1.75"deep, and don't know if I could bend it back out w/o cracking the metal. I need a replacement, but don't have one yet. Where's the best source for it?

I've got the oil out now(10:00 PM), and need to know if I should put new oil in it to drive tomorrow, or not.

Thanx CB Oh, 4.0 HO.

Quick answer: Lift

You'll probably be ok to bang that sucker back out. Check your oil pump pickup while you have the pan out.

Ive had my oil pan dented lots of times, drove it like that months on end without a problem. its a deep pan, I dont think your dent is deep enough to mess with the pick up/pump. dont get me wrong fix it at your earliest convienance. but as far as going to work/school tomarrow I wouldnt really worrie about it, just fill it back up with whole,

EDIT: when you got some time, weld a 1/4 thick steel plate underneath, thats what I did, works like a charm:D

As long as the pickup hasn't been thrashed, you should be fine. For straightening, I'd heat it slightly before banging it back out (not much more than dull red) so it will form better and not be under as much stress from cold-forming. I'm sure it could be BTF/PTM, but I'm paranoid about critical components (and most body sheetmetal isn't critical in my mind...)

5-90

[BTF/PTM - Beat To Fit/Paint To Match]

I know they can be had online with a little digging - but I don't remember where. Do a search for "AMA 242 +Parts" or similar, and you will probably turn it up.

Or just take the day you'll be down anyhow and fix yours - you'll only add about 1/2 hour to the time you'll spend on the job (or thereabouts) and you shouldn't have to worry about deformed rails when you put it back together.

5-90

Back