• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

a/c clutch bearing noise

eagle_eye

NAXJA Forum User
well it all started after a river crossing that was deeper then first expected.i made it across but then a noise like dry bearing from a/c compresser.but its only noisy with a/c off ,wen i turn it on the noise goes away and it works good. i take belt off to check compresser and the pully is loose like a worn bearing.can i adjust this? or do i need new bearing?or clutch?if so how do i get pully off compresser pump. its a 94 cherokee 4.0L inline 6 ..
any info would be very helpfull !!
thanks guys.

Tony

I looked into many options when my compressor started making noise and found the cheapest option to be to get one off ebay and bolt it on. I found one for about $30 and it took very little time to remove the old one and replace with the new one.
I priced the compressor from the dealer and it was $500+ and just the clutch was almost as much.

Same thing with mine. Noise would virtually go away when A/C was on.

Replaced the compressor from a low mileage XJ at the junkyard for $50. No problem since.

I have a 95, I got a compressor from the 96. 97+ use a different setup with the lines.

Also pre-95 use R12 instead of R134 so there may be some differences there as well.

Back