• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33x12.5 vs 33x10.5

stoneattic

NAXJA Forum User
It's time to go from 31s to 33s. The folks I wheel with most of the time are on 33s or bigger and I'm sick of dragging over things the others aren't. So I've been searching the forum and gathering as much information as I can but I was hoping for some more experience/opinions. It's a daily driver that gets to Rausch Creek about once every other month. I'm currently at about 4" with no trimming. I figure I may have to go up a little and I'll definitely be trimming some. I'll be going to 4.56s as well.

From what I've read so far seems like in most situations the 33x10.5 is the way to go, except where flotation is important, but yet most people seem to go with the 33x12.5 and most tire manufactures do even make a 33x10.5.

So far here's what I've got:

33x10.5 Pros

I can keep my current wheels (save some $)
Better on the street (in the rain and snow)
Less issues with tire clearance

33x12.5 Pros

Better flotation (in mud, sand and deep snow)
Probably better in big rocks (less likely to drop in between)

I think you have to figure out what your going to spend the majority of your time using these for.
Last year I got some 33x12.5 all terrain types, but for me driving in the snow and slush like we have up here got scary at times. So now I am picking up some 33x10.5 BFG AT's for normal road driving, all year round. In the spring I will pick up some offroad tires and some other rims.

The wider tires will be better offroad, but depending on how often you use them offroad you may be happier with a thinner tire. Keep in mind I have only ever found BFG AT and MT in the 33x10.5 size.

12.5's are not only better for flotation, there is a much greater contact area. when you figure an extra 2" width of tread per tire on the gorund, i think the added contact patch is something like 2 inches extra width x3 inch length(estiamate) x4 tires = 24 inches/ 2ft. of extra tread!

Thanks for all the replies!

jdbwrx:
I'm running the 10 hole factory aluminum rims (sports I believe) (5.25" BS) with 1 1/4" spacers so 4" BS total. Here's an old pic with a good shot of the wheels before the spacers

More pics (look under the last Rausch Creek link for pics with the spacers):

http://www.stoneattic.com/jeep/

beakie:
It sees WAY more road miles and your experience is kind of what I've been hearing and is pushing me more toward the 10.5s. We do get some snow down here and they don't do a very good job clearing the road. It's a bummer that only the BFGs seem to be available in the 10.5 size. But I'm running BFGs A/Ts now and are pretty happy with them.

kf_chris:
Good point! Gas is back up to around $3/gal around here.

uncc_civilengineer:
That's actually a minus for me unless I spring for bushwhackers or similar. PA law doesn't allow the tread section of the tire to extend beyond the flare.

BADaXJ:
True, but so far with the were I wheel traction hasn't been an issue. I have a locker an elocker in the rear so that helps. Of course with a bigger tire I'll be trying harder stuff (and getting in more trouble) and maybe the traction difference with show up and I'll be wishing I had them.

I'm leaning towards the 10.5s so far.

I will have some pics next Monday, getting my 33x10.5 AT's installed then.

I drive too much on road to justify MT/IROC's/Trxxus and such tires. I had 31" AT's and they worked great for me, but yes mud could cause trouble if you were into deep stuff.

But like I said above, come spring I will grab a cheap/used set of offroad tires as I do understand these AT's will not be as capable offroad as MT or such. For you, I think a lot would have to do with the terrain you plan on hitting, when you do get offroad.

What backspacing are you going to be running with your tires anyway?
My 33x12.5 on 3.75"soft8's stick out rather far (almost too far) but I have Wrangler fender flares so they cover more. I'll post up my new rubber pics next week if you haven't decided by then.

just a heads up, i live in maine and the roads get pretty nasty. not sure if you have considered them but my trxus have been very well mannered on crappy roads. i never use 4wd on the road and don't need it. it's a tank with the trxus in the snow. road manners honestly imporved when i went from 31x10.5's to 33x12.5's (in the snow anyways ha ha) one time, just for kicks, i was out tooling around at about midnight in the middle of a storm and i dropped it into 4hi. dumped the clutch in first and they still didn't break loose. with 4hi, it was quite comparable to driving on dry tar... just something to consider if you are leaning towards 10.5 for snowy/ slushy roads:dunno:

My 2 cents,

the 12.5 provides a little larger footprint which equals more control. Also, there may be a slight prices difference. Here in SoCal, I think the 10.5 are actually a little more $ but that could be due to lack of demand. Most everyone I know runs the 12.5".

If you are staying with the factory rim, the 10.5 will be your best choice because the 12.5 will "buldge" a little more and look fat (my opinion).

You may want to see if anyone near you has a set of wheels/tires you can "test fit" to see what you like better?

Good luck!

stoneattic said:
Anyone have some pics with 33x10.5s? I'm just curious about it looking goofy.

Here's a brand new set of BFG 33x10.5s on stock BS wheels:

33s_No_Flares.jpg

Here's sort of a head-on view (with the correct spare):
WaterCrossingSm.jpg

I don't think it looks goofy at all :)

BADaXJ said:
12.5's are not only better for flotation, there is a much greater contact area. when you figure an extra 2" width of tread per tire on the gorund, i think the added contact patch is something like 2 inches extra width x3 inch length(estiamate) x4 tires = 24 inches/ 2ft. of extra tread!

Sure you'll have more contact patch, but less lbs./sq. inch equalling less traction.
Too much flotation unless thats your winter gig. For streets in the winter i run 33x9.50R15 BFG AT's. Summer is a different story.

I love the skinny tires offroad, you can't tell me any different.

contact patch smontact patch.

contact patch is great and all, but when you hit some heavy slush with a wide tire it can get ugly pretty quick. more times than I care to remember I hit slush, or even heavy snow on the roads up here last year only to have let off the gas and let the truck go where it liked until the rubber touched down again.
the floatation that people speak of is great offroad, on road not so much. a wider tire tries to float when it hits slush/snow on the road which means less traction (even if its an extra 24"sqaured contact). Thats not to say they are the right tire for everyone, but my experience with wide tires in the winter is that I don't like them.

my be to close to really get a good look, but here are my 33x10.5's on some soft 8's...

I like them, I can't really say much for how the act off road, latelly all it's been is hauling butt through the dezert. No real crawling or muddin since I got them a few months ago.

Super swamper also makes the tsl radial in the 33x10.50 too

DSC05151.jpg

one more from the back
Pictures010.jpg

You might have issues running a 12.5 with stock rims. There isn't enough backspacing so they will rub on the control arms. You can adjust the steering stops, get wheel spacers, or rims with less backspacing. Personally, I like the idea of adding extra width as you go up for more stability.

Here is a pick of my buddy's jeep with the equivalant of 33x10.5 (they are 16 inch rims, so I think they are 275's).

P1020826.jpg

Back