• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lube capacity for ford 8.8

Hickorynut

NAXJA Forum User
Just finished my 8.8 install. The local parts house says it should hold 5.7 pints of lube. I put 3 qts. in it, drove around awhile & it felt pretty hot. Not too hot to touch but much hotter that the front diff. Then I added another qt. Seemed to help but still pretty warm. Pinion is turned up to point at TC, 410 gears,stock LS,5.5RE lift. Lube is RP 85-140. Any suggestions?

5.5 pints is what Ford says.
1/4 to 9/16ths below the fill hole.
GL-5 is the recommended lube for either open or limited slip.

5.5 pints = 2.5 quarts.

I usually fill to just below the hole, my pinion is rotated slightly as well, so I figure a little extra (not a lot extra) is good for the pinion bearing.

8.8 come factory with synthetic. They also have lowered the fluid level over the years on diffs to reduce drag from the fluid. I squeeze in as much as I can. My 8.8 on my jeep runs fairly cool but one I had in a f-150 ran almost hot to the touch and lasted.

ive heard that with the pinion rotated upwards to dump 3 quarts of synthetic in to the ABS sensor at the top of the pumpkin and call it full

Back