• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Not turning over

gone postal

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '91 XJ that basically just sits - maybe driven 2 miles in the last 6 months (I'll take it around the neighborhood just to make sure everything moves still). Anyway, I finally decided to just sell it, so I needed to bring it into my garage to clean it up, change a few fluids, etc. Well, when I went to start it, the battery was dead. No big deal, I brought out my jumpbox and at first, still nothing. Radio would come on, fuel pump would prime, but nothing when I turned the key. On the 5th or 6th try, it finally started, so I just figured it was b/c the battery was completely dead.

I hooked up my charger while I was working on it and now the battery is fully charged. When I went to move it outta the garage, I get the same problem. Radio, lights, fuel pump, etc will all turn on. When I turn the key = nothing. My first thought is NSS, b/c I had that issue before w/ this XJ, but if I moved the selector or put it in N, it would eventually start. It doesn't matter what I do w/ the selector now, I have the same nothing. I had cleaned the NSS about 10 months ago and have only driven maybe 2000 miles since then, so I don't see how it could be messed up again, but the only reason I'm not crossing that off the list is b/c the reverse lights aren't working again. Could there be anything else?? I'm going to inspect the NSS tomorrow, but figured I'd like to have a troubleshooting list ready in case that's not the problem.

Side note: If anyone wants a '91 XJ and are near NE FL - http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/car/463722755.html

Back