• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'01 lift advise

DougJ

NAXJA Forum User
Posted this over at JeepForum also, but you guys are smarter ;-)

I've an '01 XJ Sport that's bone stock with all the Up Country goodies. I'm looking at Red Rock, DPG and Jeepin Outfitters for the parts. I'll just make some spacers for the rear bumpstops as required to clear my tires. Ill also be doing an SYE and driveshaft.

My objectives with the suspension:

1. Use good stuff!

2. Increase ground clearance and make room for the '06 Rubicon Moabs and 245/75R16 MTR's I already have in the shed.

3. Improved off road performance and flexibility.

4. Maintain as close as possible to the ride quality I have with the Up Country suspension. It's paved and fire road performance is very, very good.

I'm concerned I'll have issues with the RE suspension as far as ride quality and uneven lift hight (front to rear). I have OME suspension under my Tacoma and it's been great. That said, at this point I'm not "stuck" on OME.

Here's what I've come up with OME-wise from Jeepin outfitters. It's spendy at over $1600 bones, but I want it right and I don't want to do it twice. As you can see below, I've included shackles and a 3/4" spacer to get this closer to 4" of lift. Any experience with a similar setup?

OME-XJ3
OME 3" Suspension Kit, Cherokee, 1984-01 - $779.00
* Chrysler 8.25

RE1550
Rubicon Express front brakelines - 22" - $82.95

RE1515
RE rear stainless steel brakeline, 18" - $40.95

RE1380
Rubicon Express 2" Front Bump Stops - $33.85

JKS6100
JKS Lower Control Arms - $299.20

OGS651
JKS XJ lift shackles - $91.60

JKS2034
JKS Quicker Disconnects - '07+ JK 2.5-6" lift - $134.05

OGS12x
JKS adjustable front trackbar - $204.00
* XJ/TJ/ZJ w/2-4" lift (OGS126)

RE1333
Rubicon Express 3/4" Coil Spring Spacers - $30.95

Hopefully some of you experience XJ guys can give me some good input. I'll be selling the Tacoma and then I'll get everything at once for the Jeep.

Doug

soxyfarmer said:
If you like OME stuff, check out http://rocky-road.com. You can get the whole kit for $811 minus a couple of optional choices. Also, don't forget you need shocks too. Hope it helps.

never buy from them ^

Call Dirk at DPGoffroad.com he makes greats hybrid lifts with ome products. Since you have an 01 its most likely that your gonna need an SYE. Try the tc drop and shims first tho.

SYE is up there in the first paragraph, I'm not even going to fool around trying it without the SYE. I just think it's a far better setup anyway.

I've been checking out Dirks OME and RE kits. I'm kinda torn - I want more lift than I straight OME kit provides, but I've read many negative posts about RE ride quality. I'll figure it out eventually.

Doug

[FONT=&quot]At 4" or more, your ride quality is going to suffer. You are getting close to needing dropped front CA brackets. My 2001 is much happier with them.

I went with RE rear springs and found them to have a very stiff ride so I switched out the main leaf with the thinner stock XJ leaf.
OME leafs may have a better ride.
I have OME front coils and shocks.nice but the shocks are going out at only 45,000 miles. Will be replacing them with Bilsteins.
JKS CAs are the best, consider getting the upper arms also. Makes adjusting the front pinion angle easy.

Male sure to shim the real axle to get the correct drive shaft angle when you add the SYE.
There are other things you should consider.
C-ROK steering box brackets, tow attachment points, rocker protection and skids for the transfer case, gas tank and LCAs.
I would upgrade to the JKS HD trac-bar bracket.

This can get expensive fast if you want to do it right!![/FONT]

Almost that exact some thing on my 99 sans brake lines.
With the OME stuff, the ride should be awesome. The rear was a bit bouncy, but I added a couple sand bags to break the springs in, and its been fine ever since.

Call Dirk, and he will answer all your questions. He knows all about spring rates and what works well with certain set ups.

P1010610.jpg

Side note, arnt the 06 rubis a 5x5.5 bolt pattern? Meaning those wheels wont fit.

x11-ty billion on calling Dirk...

He actually is the #1 OME Jeep retailer in the US, IIRC....you cant beat his prices or his knowledge...and a hell of a nice guy.

JKS stuff is awesome, cant go wrong with ANY of that stuff. I run their trackbar, discos, rear boomerang shackle and OME shocks/springs front and rear on my 00 XJ. couldnt be happier! I'd get their CAs, but I'm still debating on going to Dirk's 5" trailgunner springs and a LongArm kit...

lazyxj said:
[FONT=&quot]I would upgrade to the JKS HD trac-bar bracket.[/FONT]

Huh? JKS HD track-bar bracket? You talking about the over-axle mount? or the part that changes the frame-side mount from a vertical ball-joint style mount to a horizontal mount?

Im on 4.5 with just a tc drop and no vibes at all, I second the drop brackets (ordered mine yesterday) to help with the god-awfull ride

tuttle9-04006.jpg

got a link to the drop brakets?
I'm at 4.5" as well but I have crazy vibes.

Hmmm... I think long arms would be better for me...

"Huh? JKS HD track-bar bracket? You talking about the over-axle mount? or the part that changes the frame-side mount from a vertical ball-joint style mount to a horizontal mount?"

My mistake. I have a JKS trac-bar that comes with the kit from Kevins Off Road. It changes the frame-side bracket to a horizonal mount.
It has 45,ooo miles on it and is still tight.

http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/tbconversion.html

BTW, I have bought a few things from Dirk and the service has been fine.

I did talk with Dirk for a bit, but our conversation got cut short and I haven't had the chance to get back to him. He definitely know his business. Anyone got a parts list from his OME/DPG hybrid 4" lift?

Back