• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cylender 1 and 6 misfire

Kyle Horvath

NAXJA Forum User
Ok. . .
My 2000 XJ with an AW4 and distributor-less ignition started to misfire a few weeks ago.
I slapped on a bit of Dielectric gel on the plugs where they meet the coil pack. Ran ok for 100 miles.
Now I've got a read telling me that cyl 1 and 6 are misfiring. Could it be my coil-pack-rail going bad? It's got 130k on it. Or might it be bad fuel injectors in the 1 and 6? Plugs are dual tip platinum from Bosch with ~20k on them. What and where should I start looking? I've "tuned up" my 96's wires and distributor before. . . so is there an equivalent to "tuning" the distributor-less set up?

Thanks

From everything I've read on this forum, I would start with the easiest thing first...change your plugs back to the stock, cheap, copper champions that it came with from the factory and see if that helps

chrysler changed the plugs to NGK's to help reduce misfires. there is also a tsb to free up the exhaust valves it seems they are sticking and causing random misfires too. also a good decarboning may help too

Don't know if this pertains or not, but cyls 1 and 6 share the same timing hole on the flex plate. Has your engine or tranny ever been out? Any chance the flex plate got dinged? Only reason I ask is my neighbor dropped my FP when my motor was out, I forgot to check it out, and when the motor was put back in we had a pretty bad miss on cyls 3 and 4 (they share another timing hole) above idle. Popping in a new crank position sensor made it much better, hardly notice it at all, but can still see a slight variation when viewing the spark at each wire via a timing light. Only thing I figured was the original sensor, being almost twenty years old was giving a weaker signal than a new sensor could produce. New sensor must have been enough to make up for any problem with the FP. Just a thought, but something to check into if you can.

Could be your coilpack. I believe the 1 and 6 plugs share the same coil (one of three in coilpack).

Kyung

As far as I know, 1 and 6 do share the same wires for the most part. I pulled off the coilpack the other day to check the connection between it and the plugs, but didn't check the wiring.
I noticed that brown water/mud residue at the 1 and 6 cyl injector harnesses, cleaned them up, put in some seafoam and checked all my relays.
Runs good for now, but I thought that awhile ago too. We'll see what happens in the next few days.
As for the flexplate, it hasn't been touched to my knowledge. Engine/tranny have never been parted from vehicle.
And I've been running the plugs for 20K with no problems.
Is there a way to test for a bad coil pack?

Back