• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Qustions On Roof Mounted Lights

cj11

NAXJA Forum User
I was going to mount lights on the roof on the stock rack. My questions are would 2 lights mounted towards the outside edge look like crap (pictures would be great) my problem is I do not need 4 or 5 lights 2 would be fine. I also do not know if I should go round or rectangle with the shape of the cherokee I think round might look funny. Any help would be great. Thank you.

there is XJ around here that only has two round lights on the factory rack and i think it looks like bug eyes, lol. I would do square lights I think it looks better on the XJs. Start of with two squares and see how it looks.

unless ur rack is really rigid dont do it ... i had two on my rack and when i had them on and was bouncing down the trails they vibrated everywhere ... most annoying thing ever

^
This is the only way I'd want them. Low profile and non-intrusive.
I had lights on the roof mounted to modified roof racks(stock ends with 2x1 tubing between). Hated them, they caught eveything . So personally I don't want anything on the roof.

same here, I had some, they caught everything as well as having really heavy lights on the stock cross bar, the wind drag on them pulled the roof rack out of the roof... luckily i caught it before it went flying off on the free way. but I really like the low profile lights I have now.

two lights are hard to make look good. just get two more and space them evenly across. :)

here's how mine looks with two (and rack+basket)
main.php

and before... with 4 lights on a light bar.

roof mounted lights suck, i used to hit them off of everything and i broke 2 lenses.

heres what it looked like when my jeep was growing up...
HPIM0208.jpg

where i moved them too:
056.jpg

when you mount them on the roof you also have to figure out where the wires are gonna run and either be extremely careful when you wheel (if you wheel) or take them off. i like them on the front bumper, more visibility, and they are better protected.

If you decide to mount lamps on the roof, I've found it easiest to use some variety of "environmental" connector (I like Amphenols - either the MIL-spec metal version or the CPC - circular plastic connector) to avoid having to actually run wiring through the roof. Get one with a cap on the female "bulkhead" connector - you can remove the lamps and cap off the connector to keep crud out. Remove the cap and reinstall the lamps when you're done.

Amphenols (metal or plastic) are fully submersible when capped or connected, so you don't have to worry about them getting rained on. They end up protruding from the panel by about an inch (when capped,) so plan accordingly when selecting a location - maybe shelter them with one of the longwise roof rack rails.

The plastic version is cheaper than the metal (obviously...) and probably easier to find - try Googling "Amphenol CPC" or just "CPC" to find a source (I've had good luck with Allied Electronics - www.alliedelec.com.)

Back