• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pinion angle w/ lift shackle

joshjan

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Gang,

I've built my XJ with all the info on this site. Thanks! I don't post much at all, but I'm having trouble finding anything close to an answer to my question after searching.

I have a 99 with a 3.5 SF RE lift. I have 4 degree shims in there and I have measured my pinion angle to be 3 degrees lower than the output shaft of the transfer case (w/ sye). I am considering adding a 1" lift shackle. Will the longer shackle point my pinion up another degree or two or should I get a 6 degree shim? I have no vibes until I'm up around 70 mph but I think I could have a smoother driveline and my ds ujoints would last longer if I did some fine tuning.
Thanks!

you'll need a transfer case drop.

It looks like he already has an SYE, so he won't need a transfer case drop. When I added my lift shackle, it moved my pinion up 1 degree. But like almost everything else on a Jeep, you won't know for sure untill you do it. Install the shackles, measure your angles, and go from there. You may need to change shims, but maybe not. You won't know for sure untill its back on the ground.

If you don't have a SYE you want your pinion to be parallel with the transfercase output shaft. Your pinion should only be pointing to the transfercase if you do have a SYE fitted. If that is the case, then yes, longer shackles will give you that extra few degrees. I'm running a SYE with a 1.5" lift shackle and my pinion angles are perfect with no extra shims added.

I have a sye with front ds. I guess the answer I'm looking for is if a 1" lift shackle with rotate the pinion 2 degrees or if I need to scrap that idea and just get a 6 degree shim. Thanks for the info so far.

Put the shackle on and drive it. You'll probably like it. Don't do more than one mod at a time if it runs smooth now. That would make it harder to diagnose any issues.

If you have an SYE then you do not want to take the measurments from the transfercase output shaft. You want to take the measurments from the drive shaft at the axle end. Your rear axle pinion angle should be 1-2 deg. below your driveshaft angle.

Back