• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Venezuelan Jeep Cherokee

Kyle Horvath

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody have any links to the specs of a Venezuelan Jeep Cherokee?

It supposedly came with a Dana 44 High-Pinion Unit in the FRONT. This would be a decent upgrade if acquired. So, does anyone know how hard it is to find one of these babies? I'm going to keep searching until I find out.

I'm still running stock axle shafts (other than the gears) in my D30, '00 XJ with 33's. Although the 33s aren't too stressed, I'd like to add a little more beef to the front axle.
Any info or pointers would be great.

thanks

Last edited:
I think the Venezuelan XJ came with D44 fore and aft and a winch - as a tax dodge (made it a "work truck" instead of a "passenger car.")

Similar to what happens in some states. Here, I can register my XJ as a 'station wagon' - which cuts about a third off of my insurance (since, apparently, AAA doesn't think that "4WD" and "station wagon" can happen together.)

Were I still in Indiana, I'd register the XJs as "trucks" - which would nullify the seat belt laws. And knock the plates down by a bit. And probably insurance there as well.

I'm wanting to think it was D44/D44 with something akin to the Ramsey "Hidden Winch" kit at about a 6000# rating, but don't hold me to it at the moment.

5-90 said:
Were I still in Indiana, I'd register the XJs as "trucks" - which would nullify the seat belt laws. And knock the plates down by a bit. And probably insurance there as well.
Not anymore, seat belts in every vehicle as of June 1st 2007.

The only difference in plates is a couple dollars, but still every dollar counts and truck plates are cooler. :D

Last edited:
Back