• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snorkel help needed

stxcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
just wondering who all on here as a snorkel on thier XJ and how they routed the airbox. I want a seales system like the K&N Rc-5052 but noone has it available. Just wondering what methods everyone else used, and how well it works when going through water crossings.

have the same problem, nothing good out there. Waited almost a year on back order for a k&n filter but just using the stock air box now.

Here is what my setup is with the stock box.

DSCN0156.jpg

DSCN0157.jpg

DSCN0161.jpg

DSCN0159.jpg

DSCN0160.jpg

Here is my Airflow, which I recommend over the ARB. Its also cheaper.

Unlike the ARB, the snorkel hose is run straight through the inner fender, which does not allow the tire to flex up and rip the hose off.
SnorkelInstall008.jpg

Snorkel007-1.jpg

And as you can see, the snorkel doesn't go down below that body line, where as the ARB does, and thus interferes with Bushwackers.
IMG_0487.jpg

Begster said:
Here is my Airflow, which I recommend over the ARB. Its also cheaper.

Unlike the ARB, the snorkel hose is run straight through the inner fender, which does not allow the tire to flex up and rip the hose off.

And as you can see, the snorkel doesn't go down below that body line, where as the ARB does, and thus interferes with Bushwackers.

no problem using the stock airbox yet? I'll just go this method till k&n gets thier act together

Nope no problems using the stock airbox. These kits are made for the stock airbox, I don't see what problems you think will be encountered with it?

I took the box out, sealed up the front square opening (stock front liscence plate bracket works great for this, I have pics if you want) used silicon around the screws that hold it down, and the tiny drainage holes.

I dipped down first time out with it, and didn't experience anything, or any water in the airbox. You can see the line between somewhat clean, and mud halfway up my hood, that was the water line.
Kingston3-11-07005.jpg

I know I've posted my setup before but here it is.

Rather than going through the bottom like ARB instructions say, I went in through the side like this:

snorkel03.jpg

snorkel04.jpg

snorkel05.jpg

This is especially important if you run big tires. My 35's would rip the hose out if I had it installed the ARB way. Plus I think this is a better routing method into the airbox - less bends.

I also did not need to move anything inside the engine compartment like the computer. Just enough room to cut the hole:

snorkel02.jpg

And yes it works great under water. Just make sure you seal the airbox with silicone.

cablesmurf said:
Here's what I did on a few of my XJ's. Some will say the tube diameter is too small, but I never notived any problems or loss of power. In fact, I notice an increase.

http://www.4wheeler.ca/index.php?showtopic=5713

I did that same snorkle, but left the frontstock openign selectable (I used duct tape; which is actually quite waterproof), I thought it worked great as far as keeping water out of the airbox on regular trail rides & runs where deep mud & water are encountered, but when I got to a hillclimb & needed to get my RPMs up a lot I always starved my engine of air & had to disconnect it. It actually stalled me out on steep hills a couple times; pretty scary.

A buddy of mine had the same exact system on his 2000 XJ & never had any problems from it though; he runs it full-time too???

Here was my write-up, pretty similar.
http://www.terrainstompers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=97

harwood39 said:
Ok. my question is how to attach it to the a piller...
there is a bracket that is bent to hold it in place...i show you mine when i am in fargo at the end of the month

when did you ge a snorkel??? give me a call soon, mine should be done this week, i found a diagram of the ARB bracket and will just copy that. Too bad you wont be up here this next week, Rev is coming up, could have a good old meet and greet

another way to seal the front of the airbox is to take the trap door out of the front....cut the square "snout" off flush with the airbox,then silcone the trap door over the hole=water tight....and it's free...

another way to seal the front of the airbox is to take the trap door out of the front....cut the square "snout" off flush with the airbox,then silcone the trap door over the hole=water tight....and it's free...

harwood39 said:
Ok. my question is how to attach it to the a piller...

I used a sheet-metal screw & a large hose-clamp. Screwed the clamp to the pillar & put the tube in & tightened it down. Very small damage & simple/strong attachment.

Back