• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

---> Traction Bar ??? <--- Ideas/opinions from those running one....

uncc civilengineer

NAXJA Forum User
I've read every post I can find on traction bars.. here's my Idea, now tell me why it wont work and what I should change..

My rear 44 is trussed w/ a TNT truss. This left me with a nice flat area to work with on top of the differential. My plan is to weld two tabs on top of the truss for the axle end of my traction bar mount.

I plan to make the bar out of either (1) 2" 250 wall DOM or (2) 1.75" 120 wall DOM. I plan on tube inserts on each end and a heim on each end.

For my upper mount I'm still working on where to mount it but it's looking like some form of a custom cross member just back of the transfer case output.

Basically: Front/Rear fixed mounts with heims...

Why wont this work? The placement will be right next to the rear driveshaft unless I can figure out a way to mount it about the driveshaft..

Would the bind be too much during droop? Is the upper shackle mount necessary? Single bar bad? Help me I would prefer to only do this one.

you need to have a shackle at the frame end. follow the link above and look at the diagram. with leaves, when the axle travels up and down, it does move forward and back a bit. The shackle is needed to allow the axle to move freely in that regard. Otherwise, it would be like using a driveshaft that didn't allow any movement (no slip yoke, or slip driveshaft).

I dont see any mention of what your going to do for a lower axle mount?

RCP Phx said:

Tabs on top of my truss, probably 3/4" Cromo Heim w/ 5/8" HMS..

I get what people are saying about the shackle... but I've seen some w/o and some with. My cousin ran his w/o the shackle for the past 6 months w/o any issues?

I'll probably do the shackle to be safe but it'll be small.. Also are you limiting how far the shackle can travel in the forward direction..

I've also read most of the write ups..

RCP Phx said:

Who says anything about a mount on the top AND bottum of the axle.. it is not 100% needed...

Not mine(I wish!) but a friend of mine's. This is a really sweet setup.

tractionbar10.jpg

I'll post a link to his XJ build up on our local forum.

You have to control the torque somewhere!Yeah,you could probably weld some form of "single point" attachment,but why?Just got done with my son's,(2) pieces of 1-3/8" x .188" wall chromoly with 1"x12 chromoly allthread,1 RE Superflex end(frame side) and stock UCA bushings at the axle.
CIMG8112Medium.jpg

What happens when he gets a twisted up in the rear? That poly joint up front doesn't look like it's got much room to twist unless there is another link I can't see.

RCP Phx said:
You have to control the torque somewhere!Yeah,you could probably weld some form of "single point" attachment,but why?Just got done with my son's,(2) pieces of 1-3/8" x .188" wall chromoly with 1"x12 chromoly allthread,1 RE Superflex end(frame side) and stock UCA bushings at the axle.
CIMG8112Medium.jpg

Very nice.. just gets a little more difficult w/ it trussed..
pic001.jpg

Still not 100% sure what I'm going to do but anyone who's rear is trussed running a traction bar that would like to show a few pictures... Also hanging below the axle tube or frame rail isnt something I want to consider at this time.

Chris, just do it like the other guys, but one the axle, just weld some tabs to the truss and a set on the tubes. BTW, only girls and sissies run traction bars. :moon:

53guy said:
Chris, just do it like the other guys, but one the axle, just weld some tabs to the truss and a set on the tubes. BTW, only girls and sissies run traction bars. :moon:

Nick.. that's what I was thinking.. until I was really getting on it 2 weekends ago trying to make a 5 foot ledge in some water and trashed the pinion yoke :bawl:

uncc civilengineer said:
Nick.. that's what I was thinking.. until I was really getting on it 2 weekends ago trying to make a 5 foot ledge in some water and trashed the pinion yoke :bawl:

Ouch...so you're making it into a driveshaft protector as well?

the mount Nth degree (used to be, went out of business) used for the Xmember side on the TJ and YJ kits is what Iwould do. A hiem is mounted to the top of a shackle. The main Tube for the bar has to be threaded or use a bung. THe shackle is hooked to a hard poly mount which is welded to x-member.

Back