• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Update on my 55mph shimmy:

HMGanja

NAXJA Forum User
I posted not too long ago about my front end shaking pretty good at 55mph (not dw). Well I decided to rotate my tires yesterday and voila! party1: The shake is completely gone away. So im guessing that one of the front tires either has a bent rim, or unbalanced. And now that there on the rear it dosnt show up. Just thought I would share this so if anyone has the same problem...rotate those tires first. It may just save you some time/money.

I had a similar problem, but none of the tires were out of balance and none of the wheels were out-of-round. It turns out that someone had put the wheels on with an impact gun, and not gotten the wheel perfectly centered. The wobble showed up at exactly 55mph.

Wow, thats a first for me. If you think about it, that could have been my problem as well. Wont be able to tell till I get em balanced. Thats crazy though that a impact gun could cause that.

Yup, I suffer this when I rotated the BFG's at 5k miles. Does it at 55, which I have used as a speed warning on most of the 45mph county roads I use.

I loosened the lugs and retightened, but no change, crawled under with a pry bar and checked every bushing and joint, greased it, and still the bladabladablada . . .

So I'm waiting for the next rotation, and I will check carefully for a good mount up. BTW, I'm using Liberty 16" steel rims taken off at a dealer - AFAIK, I'm the only one to put miles on them - so I don't think it's unknown damage. I do use an (underpowered) impact gun, but tighten with a click torque wrench in the star pattern to spec (110 ft pounds.)

HMGanja said:
Wow, thats a first for me. If you think about it, that could have been my problem as well. Wont be able to tell till I get em balanced. Thats crazy though that a impact gun could cause that.

It was pretty strange - I got it up on the lift at work and spun the wheel, and if you looked closely, you could see it was kicked off to one side.

This is why I always use an X-wrench to put my lugs on. Yeah, it's slower than an impact, but I trust it more.

Back