• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cowl mounted lights

balloo93

NAXJA Forum User
Someone on here awhile back was asking how to mount lights to the sides of the cowl. Here is what I did:

Okay, so I had time to kill and had been meaning to do this for awhile. My brother gave me some TJ lights with mounts.

I had been wanting to get some lights to put up high, but didn't want to mess with drilling into the A pillar and/or buying the brackets to mount them. Hind sight, it would have worked out better to mount them higher, but hey....it was a cheap install.

Start by removing the wiper arms. There is a small clip that folds ovet the arm near where the arm mounts to the motor. Use a screw driver and pop that clip up. Then grab the base of the wiper arm and work it back and forth till it pops off.

Once they are both off, there are about 8 philips head screws holding the cowl down. Take those off and remove the cowl.

Cutcowldrv.jpg

The stock TJ brackets had a bracket with a stud on them. I tried using a hammer to bus them loose, but they didn't budge. Busted out the grinder and cut the stud off and grinded it smooth. The grinder has become my favorite tool to use.

I could squeeze my arm into the cowl enough to get an idea on where to drill the holes. I drilled one hole for the light bracket and one for the wires and grommet. I drilled the holes on each side and then taped them off and hit them with rustoleum.

holedrv.jpg

holepass.jpg

Once mouned I realized the antennea would need to be bent back. I rarely listen to the radio, I have enough MP3s to last me days on end.

Problem arouse with the pass side. Under the cowl, the pass side cowl is solid. I had to cut and access hole in the cowl. It's just big enough to get my arm in with some squeezing. This lead to some small cuts in my arm, but I wanted a small hole. Have a shop vac on hand, sinse the metal shavings will fall into the cowl and get in or on the HVAC intake. I vacuumed it clean afterwards, but I will blow out the system before using again.

Cutcowl.jpg

I mounted the brackets by putting a few washer in a bolt and a locking washer. Then fed them into the cowl by hand and pushed it through. I then put the bracket on and a locking washer and nut on top. Hand tightened it an dthen fed a open end wrench in to hold the bolt as I tightened it down. The driver side snugged right up without needing the wrench inside. I was hoping the lock washers would work on both, but only the Drivers side did.

sidshot.jpg

drvclos.jpg

drvsht.jpg

headon.jpg

Okay, now the bad. I wanted the ligts as far up as possible. I mocked it up with the hood open, but didn't MARK the bracket postion. I was off by under 1" on both sides, and due to this the hood won't open all the way with the lights installed. :laugh:

With the lights on, there is a bit of glare on the hood on top to the sides.

So I am planning on looking for some other brackets to attach to the current ones to give me more adjustability and a higher up mount location to allow for the hood to open and there to be less glare on the hood. I want the abilty to turn the lamps sideways for night wheeling as well.

I make brackets that locate the lights close to the same position. no drilling into the A pillar required.

texinteg said:
I make brackets that locate the lights close to the same position. no drilling into the A pillar required.

Meh, I didn't know that prior to the install...and this didn't cost me anything. Had the nuts, bolts, wires, all layig around.

texinteg said:
REEEEEEEAAAAALLY??? Pics? :eyes: How much?

Well the reason I suggested it was that you could relocate your lights to be able to open your hood the whole way. I dont have any pics right now the jeep is down at the shop. i wont be down there again till wednesday. I can try to take some then. It basically bolts to the windshield wiper transmission. 2 bolts per side.

texinteg said:
Well the reason I suggested it was that you could relocate your lights to be able to open your hood the whole way. I dont have any pics right now the jeep is down at the shop. i wont be down there again till wednesday. I can try to take some then. It basically bolts to the windshield wiper transmission. 2 bolts per side.

But, you forgot the key piece of info....HOW MUCH!!!

no clue yet. never made more then 2 sets. the metal cost me roughly $12. I spend about 45min cutting them out cause the metal is a little thick.I would say it take about an hour to make a set. the giving me extra time if I need it. (changeing blades and bits) I would say I could probably sell them for $35 including mounting hardware. these would ship raw metal. I dont want to make a bunch of these things or try to market them right now. I dont have time. I could possibly make a few sets this weekend if people are interested. I will try to get pics up asap.

What about mounting them on the back edge of the hood? Would it open all the way then? Oh well, a little late for you, but maybe the next guy can learn from this.

Turfzilla said:
What about mounting them on the back edge of the hood? Would it open all the way then? Oh well, a little late for you, but maybe the next guy can learn from this.

I didn't want them on the hood. I wanted them off to the side to avoid glare off the hood. Once I move them back about 1" the hood will open just fine.

The lights are just far enough in that they won't be as easy a target for tree branches, but far enough to the side so that when I move them they can be used for night wheeling.

Thats exactly how I made my brackets but they sit up about an inch higher. I dont really have problems with glare though. could be because all the clear coat has pealed off my hood though.

To combat the relocation, I will more than likely bend up some brackets that will place the lights up a little higher as well as back further.

Mulling over how to get a swivel action on it to rotate the lamps and lock them down for whatever driving I am doing. ie I'd like the ability to have them staright (well a little more tword each side) or be able to twist them to each side and down. A few places around here offer night runs and it would be nice to see what's in front of and to the side of me.

texinteg said:

Any pics yet?

get some pics at night with the lights on and from inside your rig please

Back