• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much to clear 38's

uratard2

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched but haven't found what I am looking for. I currently have about 7-8" lift running 33" tsl's. I am going full width 60's and want to run a 38x12.5x16.5 tsl. I want to keep my center of gravity low but I want as much flex as possible. How much lift am I going to need to clear 38's? Any pics would be appreciated. Thanks, Matt

I would say 7-8" is plenty, cut, bend, and bumpstop. Anything over that is too high

well, honestly, with 60's they'll be way outside your fenders and the lateral movement will add a lot more flex then stock axles so your gonna get a lot of flex and clearance without mcuh lift but if your doin coils/longarm in front id definately use ATLEAST a 6" coil and in back whatever leaf's u want, but if its leafs up front get somethin spongy like some chevy 63's or somethin bro

There is no such thing as a body lift for the XJ....The XJ is a Unibody and there is no Frame to lift off of and therefore you cannot do a body lift.....

cherokeered said:
There is no such thing as a body lift for the XJ....The XJ is a Unibody and there is no Frame to lift off of and therefore you cannot do a body lift.....

Whoah, thanks. I had been wearing the ProComp catalog out trying to find that.

cherokeered said:

i think they might have been joking...:doh:

but you run 7 inches and 33's? and your talking about cog. wow. i run 33s on a 4.5 inch lift and i think i need some bigger tires.

i guess the sarcasm just went over your heads :) anyways i run 33's at 4.5 inches of lift and could easily stuff 35's. with as much lift as you have, you should be able to fit what you need.

I know my first post shouldnt be ridiculing someone, but if you think you have the ability to puts 1 tons under you jeep, but have to ask how much lift youll need , then you need to put down the tools.

Yours 7-8" lift should be fine for 38s , i run 33's with a 3" lift, if your 38s rub, just cut some more.

alexer03 said:
i think they might have been joking...:doh:

but you run 7 inches and 33's? and your talking about cog. wow. i run 33s on a 4.5 inch lift and i think i need some bigger tires.

I have homemade long arms and a lot of flex. I could run 35's like I am but not sure about 38's.

I'm goin 7.25 and 38's... trim it, bumpstop it, and have some limiting straps for lots of down travel

CantCrawl said:
I know my first post shouldnt be ridiculing someone, but if you think you have the ability to puts 1 tons under you jeep, but have to ask how much lift youll need , then you need to put down the tools.

Yours 7-8" lift should be fine for 38s , i run 33's with a 3" lift, if your 38s rub, just cut some more.

I have the ability. I am narrow with 33's and they rub full stuffed. When I go wider, the tires are going to come up higher. I realize I can fit 38's and drive on pavement, but I am just asking about how much uptravel I will still have. I realize I will have to bumpstop the front. I have already cut the back off of my XJ and have it tubed. The front is where I am concerned. I do mostly off camber trail riding nowadays. Thanks.

Go 38 12.5 bias TSL's...

If your going to go wider axles, then bumstoping will be it

cherokeered said:

You serious? Crap, I thought you could....now what am I left to do? I had all my build based around my thoughts of a body lift....damn damn damn!!

53guy said:
You serious? Crap, I thought you could....now what am I left to do? I had all my build based around my thoughts of a body lift....damn damn damn!!

Well if you wouldn't quit bein so damn cheap with your build you wouldnt have that. TURKEY BASTERS ARE NOT TO BE USED AS HYDRO-ASSIST STEARING PUMPS

Screw up the new knuckles yet?

Back