• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's going out?

gigage

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 90 pioneer, just started hearing a whistle/whining noise from the front of the engine. I can't tell where it's coming from exactly, I've got a new AC compressor it's got oil but not charged yet. Got a fairly new Alt. And I replaced the radiator and thermostat this last year. I didn't change the water pump, but it hasn't given me any trouble and the temp. stays around 190 to 200.

The noise kinda goes away on acceleration, and seems to not do it until I've driven awhile. Any ideas? Oh, and the compressor has been installed for awhile and the noise just started this week. Thanks in advance. Terry

does it do it at idle?? or just while moving?? change with RPM or speed?? change when turning one direction or another?? change when in 4WD vice 2wd??

AC compressor shouldn't turn on unless you have a charge, i think they have a low pressure switch on them.

I think you might be right about the idler pulley, that's kinda what I thought. The sound is only at idle, and when I give it some throttle it seems to fade. And I have'nt had the AC on since I change everything out, I was trying to decide since everything is new whether or not to convert to 134. Thanks for the response, sometimes you just need a second opinion.:eyes:

look into free zone (RB-276) its a perfect replacement for r12, compatable with the original oil and compressors. absoulte perfect drop in for R12. R134a is reasonably close, but if you can find it RB 276 is better.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/tr497.htm

for more info

whatever you do, don't use R-718:)

*water*

Hey thanks for the info. I'll check on the rb-276. I have not heard of this before, and have know idea where to get it. But since I have already installed the new compressor, X-valve, and dryer, and have already put in the oil for r12 that sounds like it might work. I was actually going to take the compressor back off and clean out the Mineral oil. But if this works sounds like a better solution. I guess tomarrow I'll go get a new idler pulley, that will be an easy fix.

i know that we have it at work..... we bought it for a unit that ran R12, not sure where you can buy it, or if its even cleared for personal use
if you lived closer i could prolly hook you up, but tezas is far, and i don't really like the thought if jail :)

clunk said:
Nice looking jeep, I'm just curious as to what lift/tire combo you are running?

I just installed a 3" lift, it's 3" Skyjacker coils, and 4" procomp leafs. I also installed 3" Rancho 5000 shocks. It seems to be a pretty good set up. We went to Barnwell Mountain last weekend and had a pretty good time, did everything I wanted it to do. The tires are just 30" Pathfinder A/T's from Discount Tires, I put them on when I installed a Budget Boost. With this lift I will go up to 31's, that's as high as I will go. Thanks for the compliment!

http://i114.photobucket.com

Back