• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cannot remove aw4 torx bolts

weslaf0313

NAXJA Forum User
i GOt the socket but i cant get a ratchet on it , i cant even find the second one only the one directly behind the valve cover. im taking it out of a 88 cherokee aw4 . im going to try to get a torx wrench tommorow . but everywhere i have seen people say the got it with a socket . i only have A little over a inch between it and sheetmetal . Have i fried my brain out and missing something .:wow:

If your referring to the 2 at the top of the tranny to the engine they are torx and you will more than likely never get them out with a 6 or 12 point socket. I learned this the hard way. I didn't know better until tore it up and then a friend removed my head from my ass. He happen to have a set. The torx sockets are priceless. When you replace the tranny don't put them back in. Just use some regular high quality ones Not them torx junks. Good luck.

Last edited:
i used a swivel head, about 3 one foot extensions and an air rachet, they camp out pretty easilly, normally its faster if you have a lift to drop it all as one engine/tranny/t-case

Yes you have to lower the whole engine,trans,tcase to get to them with a socket, otherwise you will have to use a torx wrench from above and that would be a royal pain. I don't mind them with the proper socket and about 4ft of extensions.

I got to mine from the top. Like already mentioned,lower the engine as far as possible,I even removed the motor mounts so it would go down lower. then I took a flex ratchet and the e12 socket and got them from the top. Not that bad of a reach,you just have to stand on your head for a couple minutes:) I tried getting to them from the bottom,that wouldn't work for me

Back