• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dont flame me out.

nitrospeed

NAXJA Forum User
Allright i know most of you will cringe at the thought of this that being said all I want is some advise on DEQ in wash. state. Ok here it goes, lets say i wanted to put a newer corvette motor in my 89. could that be tested to pass? I know right now they start at 83 and up but i dont know the year were you can start modding them. By the way i just passed yesterday with flying colors so i have another 2 years. Thanks.

1st. They don't call it DEQ in Washington state.
2nd. If you really are that worried about it get the regs and read up. You aren't going to get anything but opinions here.
3rd. Good luck!

If its a newer corvette motor, and you include all the emissions parts and pieces.. you should be fine.

LIke said above.. check the website. I know Oregon has a lot of crud on their DEQ website..

Just because you change your engine.. I don't think the pass requirements change.. so if its newer and runs clean.. you should be good..

but :) my xj still has washington plates.. cause I am having PDX DEQ issues :), so what do I know. :roflmao:

Like Tracey said, you need to check the website and call to talk with the experts. I am not familar with DEQ?

It will depend more on what county you are registered than anything else. If you register in a county without emissions testing then I wouldn't see any issues (you swap the engine, nobody knows, vin of the vehicle has not changed, you don't go through inspections, no problem). On the other hand if you try to bring it into the state in other counties, they will need an inspection (problem 1) if you emission test they will pop the hood and do a visual inspection (problem 2).

You can go through the right process and register the car, with the mod engine to the DMV and make everything correct, it totally depends on the car, age, milage, engine, etc ,etc as to WHAT the correct process it to do it.

Michael

My xj is allready registered and i dont plan on moving. I checked out wa. states vehicle emmisions website and they donot address the issue. Is as if they dont encourage it. I knew at one time that the motor transplant had to be a factory option in that year and make and that the motor has to be as new as the car or newer. I know that after a certain year they let ya start messing around with them. I just have to find out more. I also read at one of the two adapter sites that if you use the 350 with the aluminum heads. that it is lighter and gets better gas milage in the xj. i am not saying its true i just read it. But sounds good.

I'll chime in here. It's SIMPLE in WA.... for pre '96 that is. There are no laws regarding engine swaps, the engine having to be the same year or newer, etc... NONE of that BS here. If it is pre OBD II emissions (pre '96 model year), all it has to do is pass a sniff test. There are HC and CO limits based on year of production (of the vehicle) and weight (1 ton truck has higher limits than pass. car, etc). If the engine is running right, it should pass.

John

2xtreme said:
On the other hand if you try to bring it into the state in other counties, they will need an inspection (problem 1) if you emission test they will pop the hood and do a visual inspection (problem 2).

Your problem 1 is easy, if it passes the sniff test he's golden. Problem 2 is non-existant. The ONLY time WA State does a visual inspection is if you fail your first test, have an authorized emissions repair facility spend more than $150 in repairs in an attempt to repair the vehicle, and you are going for the waiver. The vehicle can only even qualify for the waiver if it is 100% stock and all emissions components are in place. Bottom line, you're not going to go for a waiver in an XJ /w a small block in it. Tune it to pass and you're done.

J

thanks Avanteone pre 96 is what i was looking for. Sounds like it would work. By the way are you still making those thor guards? i noticed the trail head site has been down.

Avanteone said:
Your problem 1 is easy, if it passes the sniff test he's golden. Problem 2 is non-existant. The ONLY time WA State does a visual inspection is if you fail your first test, have an authorized emissions repair facility spend more than $150 in repairs in an attempt to repair the vehicle, and you are going for the waiver. The vehicle can only even qualify for the waiver if it is 100% stock and all emissions components are in place. Bottom line, you're not going to go for a waiver in an XJ /w a small block in it. Tune it to pass and you're done.

J

This is why I think there needs to be some more research done. When I brought my last vehicle into WA for licensing it had to be inspected (1984 vintage vehicle) they did vin inspections on body, chassis, engine and verified that all were original this was not a easy vehicle to go through this process (to the best of their ability). When I did this with my wifes new truck (2001) it didn't have to go through any inspection at all (I was told because it was less than 10 years old).

The last time I got my XJ for emissions check (it passed with no issues first time around) they poped the hood and verified that the engine was a 4.0 by visual inspection only as far as I know.

I also did research for registering a car with a modified engine (for my RR project) and have found lots of other issues and dificulties, cost, taxes, inspections etc. But I have yet to go through this so they are not first hand experiences.

Just my experience.
Michael

Weird, I've had a few vehicles through WA emissions: 86, 91, 93, 95, 96, 96, and 2000. Never have I had anyone pop the hood or do anything other than plug in to my OBDII module or stick the sticky sniffer thinger in my exhausts. This to include two engine swaps and countless mods. I've never failed. My favorite was my busted ass XJ I trailered up there.

I've heard of guys that can't build an engine right using alcohol to assist in the passing emissions process. (FWIW)

Back