• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what should i do considering the condition of my main leaf?

muddeprived

NAXJA Forum User

See how the main leaf bends down after the 2nd leaf? I have Rough Country 2" AAL (long leaf) that i'm considering using but wondering if i should go with the AAL or use another main leaf (from a spare set of xj springs) that's cut to the length of my main and use that to achieve a slight lift and assist the main leaf from sagging? I'm afraid the AAL will cause the main to bend even more since it looks to be the same length as teh 2nd leaf in my pack (or am i wrong?). I want only 2" of lift so i can regain my rear's height (it sits much lower than the front) without vibes. Later on i will get a full 3" RC kit but for now this is all i want.

what would you do?

As a short term fix (year or so) you can take it to a spring shop and have them re-arch it. It may be difficult due to it being so close to the eye but it may be worth a shot. Thats or find another stock leaf pack... they are usualy cheap and plentiful

I'd pound the main leaf back to shape, then cut down any other leaf and make the second leaf go all the way to the ends. Put that bent section of leaf between a couple of blocks and hit it with a hammer a little at a time along that length of spring to straighten it out......that's basically what the spring shop will do to re-arch them.

link the rear!

bastard pack it.. cut the ends off another main leaf and use it along with the second leaf should give you some lift, on my buddies jeep we doubled his leafs with all of my old ones and he got about 4 inches

CanJeep said:
bastard pack it.. cut the ends off another main leaf and use it along with the second leaf should give you some lift, on my buddies jeep we doubled his leafs with all of my old ones and he got about 4 inches

That's what i want to avoid, the over-lift. I want only about 2" to avoid major vibes until i get a complete kit later on down the road. I will go with the bastard method for now and maybe just sell the AAL's.

Last edited:
muddeprived said:

See how the main leaf bends down after the 2nd leaf? I have Rough Country 2" AAL (long leaf) that i'm considering using but wondering if i should go with the AAL or use another main leaf (from a spare set of xj springs) that's cut to the length of my main and use that to achieve a slight lift and assist the main leaf from sagging? I'm afraid the AAL will cause the main to bend even more since it looks to be the same length as teh 2nd leaf in my pack (or am i wrong?). I want only 2" of lift so i can regain my rear's height (it sits much lower than the front) without vibes. Later on i will get a full 3" RC kit but for now this is all i want.

what would you do?

My old packs looked just like that with the concave downward flexure in the main leaf adjacent to the end of the 2nd leaf. I wed Qtec HD (56010.11) packs to the old mains just this weekend and now that bend is gone on both sides of the vehicle, granted I put a spring clamp on one side where that flex point was because there was some space between the old and new mains. Resulted in 2 inches lift above stock height.

THis may be a dumb question. But on the leaves what are the bolts sticking out the bottom? Just curious because i was wondering if i needed holes in a bastard pack? Sorry to hijack but there is a perfect picture of them. Thanks

muddeprived said:
That's what i want to avoid, the over-lift. I want only about 2" to avoid major vibes until i get a complete kit later on down the road. I will go with the bastard method for now and maybe just sell the AAL's.
i used a 2nd set of stock xj leafs to get 2" of lift for my bb...

IMG_9658.jpg

IMG_9660.jpg

and you can kinda see how the new 2nd leaf goes all of the way back to the bushing eye...

IMG_9661.jpg

and you can add/subtract leafs to fine-tune the amount of lift.

and the full writeup

http://fitchva.com/jeep/?p=56

Back