• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ rear disk brake hose question

confused

NAXJA Forum User
I installed the rear ZJ disk brake setup on my '91 XJ but I forgot to get the rubber brake hoses. I also will be doing a 3" lift before year end.

Does anyone know if factory ZJ hoses will work considering the 3" lift? Finally, do the hoses have a clip or something to attach to the axle??
Thanks !!

get the zj ones for the calipers to the hard lines, then get a dakota line for the one running to the axle off the body.

I am using the factory ZJ lines for mine. They have a bolt that holds them down to the axle on the ZJ, I just used a ziptie through the bolt hole, been about a year and no issues yet. For the axle to frame line I am using a YJ line, with 6" of lift there is still plenty of length left in it and it was only $17 at the part store.

Another option is the Ford Explorer brakeline. Works well for me at 6.5" of lift and is designed for discs. Your existing hardline plugs in to junction and the hose goes to your left caliper.

bh380376-1.jpg

John90XJ said:
Another option is the Ford Explorer brakeline. Works well for me at 6.5" of lift and is designed for discs. Your existing hardline plugs in to junction and the hose goes to your left caliper.

Isn't the Ford line metric and the XJ english? I ran into that when I did a Crown Vic brake swap. I used pair of Crown Vic passenger soft lines and redid the hard lines from the T out to the axle ends with metric ends to match.

I just helped a friend install a D44 he bought that already had the ZJ brake setup on it. We redid the steel lines because there just weren't right lol. The ZJ lines are a little short and I never was real pleased with any way to route them. I have two passenger side(I think) exploder hoses on my 8.8 discs and they were much easier to plumb do to them bieng a little longer which opened up some more mounting options.

On the Crown Vic the drivers side hose had a T on the end. I think the Explorer is the same way, so you probably do have 2 passenger hoses.

Back