• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement Interior Screws

Alademuerte

NAXJA Forum User
Well, over the years of taking off and putting back on interior pieces, my screws are almost giving out and are pretty much stripping.

I was wondering if dealerships, or if there's a website that carries kits of replacement screws for interior trim....

Anybody have any ideas?

I already tried checking out a couple hardware stores for similar replacement screws, but not much luck..

A body shop supply store will have some replacement screws, panel and trim clips, etc. The local NAPA has autobody suppiles and paint and they have a rack of 10pk's of different styles of fasteners.

Lowes has a section of automobile fasteners also. They are in singles or two packs and are more expensive than the NAPA.

Try on-line, someplace like http://www.jcwhitney.com/Auto-Parts/10101.jcw

You should also be able to find them at the local parts house under the HELP! or Dorman section (whichever they've got. Motormite bought Dorman, so they're the same thing anyhow...)

I believe they're called "SEMS screws," and typical sizes I've seen are #6x1" and #6x1-1/2", as used in my early XJs.

I went through the same thing when I was restoring the interior of mine. After reviewing all the options (I even tried several brands of replacements from the auto stores ... they still weren't exact), I ended up buying stainless steel screws at my local hardware store. IIRC, there were only three lengths and two different widths needed (sorry I've forgotten the actual sizes ... #6 and #8 widths I think ... just bring in a couple to compare). They are not "exact" but are so close that they work and look great. Oh yeah, I pushed them into a cardboard box, cleaned them with paint prep, primed and painted the heads with flat black enamel. I also put a bit of anti-seize on any that poked through to the exterior (e.g. to ones on the sill plate and rear carpet moldings) to prevent corrosion. I'm pretty picky when it comes to restoration work, and this solution worked great.

Back