• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire and rim size on 89 xj with 6in lift

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
im about to start installing my 6in rusty lift on my 89 xj and im starting to look into buying new tires..i want to get the widest 33in mud terrains i can fit with the best performance on and off road..

I would like to get the all black steal rims on all the xjs

does anyone know how big or a rim and tire i can go with with a 6in lift?

what gears are you running and do you plan to regear?

I would just go with 15x8 soft 8s, 3.75" backspacing and some BFG Mud Terrains...however, being in Canada, dont you have to deal with snow a lot? MTs overall have poor snow/ice mannerisms...just not a lot of rubber in contact with the ground, like an AT.

What kind of "off roading" are you planning on doing? I run the Firestone Destinations M/T's (33's) on a 6' lift, 4:56 gears and am very happy with their performance. I do mostly rocks and the occasional mud hole, they have held up well and are fairly quiet on the road.

Here you can find the review on them and also reviews on all the other tires out there.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Firestone-Destination-MT.htm

Good luck.

JNickel101 said:
...however, being in Canada, dont you have to deal with snow a lot? MTs overall have poor snow/ice mannerisms...just not a lot of rubber in contact with the ground, like an AT.

Vancouver doesn't get much snow, but the rest of us live in Igloos...just kidding hahahaha. Vancouver has mild, mild winters kind of like the oregon coast. Lotsa rain, but usually little snow.

i wasnt really planning on changing gears or anything..and ya i live in the vancouver area..its alot of rain..there is snow on alot of the mountains i go 4x4ing on but not till the top...i have all terrains now and love them but i figured i will probably be in more mud then snow or ice through out the year so mud terrains would be better

I just switched to AT's from muds (i'll probably end up buying another set of muds with there own rims in the spring) but let me tell you from a fellow canuck who has driven the last 4 winters on mud terrains, they suck on winter roads. It's just like driving on hockey pucks! I will admit that i have suffered a few embarassing moments on a cold snowy day at a stop light to have it turn green and just spin out (admittedly maybe i was too hard on the gas). But i know from experience that if you take it easy and adapt your driving to the enviornment they are not too bad, but for this winter i am going with the AT's. But i guess being out there in BC you shouldn't have to worry about crappy icy roads. my 2 cents

blazinjames said:
i do want to be able to drive up mountains into snow though..maybe all terrains would be a better call...i also do alot of hwy driving and sometimes that could be in snow....
ive been working at a tire store for the past 6 years so i see alot of name brands and alot of off brands that look the same and perform just as well just 1/2 the price of the name brands such as mickey thompson and goodyear. there is a tire that is similar to the wrangler MT/R's and is pretty much the same as the Maxxis bighorns. the name of the tire is Summit Mud Dawg. just for the name you are paying 1/2 the price as you would if they were the wranglers or the Maxxis tires. also there is a tire identical to the Mickey thompson MTZ's its offbrand name it either Dayton Timberline M/T's or the baja widetrack M/T. google the names and look at the pics and they are pretty much the same just 1/2 the price. good luck on tire shopping. any more questions just ask and id be glad to inform you.

blazinjames said:
i wasnt really planning on changing gears or anything..and ya i live in the vancouver area..its alot of rain..there is snow on alot of the mountains i go 4x4ing on but not till the top...i have all terrains now and love them but i figured i will probably be in more mud then snow or ice through out the year so mud terrains would be better

i hope 33's and stock gearing on your 18 year old engine gets you up the mountain.

what tranny do you have? manual or auto?

blazinjames said:
i have auto...u think i need to regear? i bought the lift off someone who had a 94 cherokee and he didnt regear or anything

He should have... You need to regear with anything bigger than a 31. Go with 4.56 and 33 x 10.50s on 15x 8s I've got 15x10s and 33 x 12.50s and hate it! Stick with an 8 inch rim and 10.50 tire!

JNickel101 said:
what gears are you running and do you plan to regear?

I would just go with 15x8 soft 8s, 3.75" backspacing and some BFG Mud Terrains...however, being in Canada, dont you have to deal with snow a lot? MTs overall have poor snow/ice mannerisms...just not a lot of rubber in contact with the ground, like an AT.

Hahahha such a stereo type.... 'a lot of snow to deal with'.

BlazinJames... what do we usually get for snow? Last year was bad... all of maybe 4 or 5in for a couple weeks... The last time we had snow for Xmas was I think 6 years or more ago!

Dude, I would go with the A/T. I'm running Goodyear MTR's with a 6.5" lift and they don't do so well in the odd time we do get snow. I'm lookin at goin with the BFG A/T's. Go to the states too, 4wheelparts.com, they're about 2.5 hours drive south from Sumas, you'll save at LEAST $40-$60 a tire.

Yeah, okay, my bad for sterotyping....

I normally live in NM and everyone laughs at me when I talk about getting snow there in the winter.....so I know what you mean.

MTs also dont do very well in the rain....I'd go with an A/T

ya i was thinking about going to the states for tires...cant beat the dollar right now

im proabably going with bgf ats

i dont even really know what regearing means? what exactly do i have to do?

Honestly, if you've never set up your own gears, I would spend the $200 or whatever it costs you to get someone to set up your gears for you, because if you don't and do them yourself then there may be a good chance you'll be stuck in the middle of the bush with some broken diffs...

If you don't want to go to the states for tires, I would suggest Costco for tires. Having said that, you will have to just buy the tires there, as they wont mount them for you because they weren't the 'stock' tires that came with the vehicle, so you'll have to get them mounted somewhere else.

Back