• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ricer hood scoops

I don't see anything

They don't even look like they're functional? Stick on?
2005362010063903789uJwqeI_ph.jpg

wtf is that ?? no dude thats worse than putting a type-r sticker on the side ! just do a hood vent mod ? 60 cents at home depo. washers spacer on the back of your hood lifts it half an inch all the air that comes in the front will run threw the bay and sneak threw firewall and 1 inch you raised the back of the hood. The heat goes right over your windsheild. Actually works very well. When my car idles a while and i start driving for a while my windsheild heats up enough to burn you. (i guess at least you know its working)

96_Busted_XJ said:
just do a hood vent mod ? 60 cents at home depo. washers spacer on the back of your hood lifts it half an inch all the air that comes in the front will run threw the bay and sneak threw firewall and 1 inch you raised the back of the hood.
Holy unintelligible run-on sentence Batman! :helpme:

96_Busted_XJ said:
The heat goes right over your windsheild. Actually works very well. When my car idles a while and i start driving for a while my windsheild heats up enough to burn you. (i guess at least you know its working)

That is only when you're moving slow. When you driving faster than about 25/30mph the negitave air presure at the base of the windshild will push back into the gap and out under the vehicle.

Right thats true but i'm also in DC traffic everyday. Still think it help either way. It still would just be pulling fresh air from the windshield area and through to the underbody.

12GaugeXJ said:
While browsing google for pictures of Cherokees with cowl induction style hoods, I came across this thread, started by none other than GI-John. They are effective, and do work to push air into the engine bay while at speed.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20698

And another, basically the same one.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20642

I've been looking at that and doing some thinking, I did the hood shim for about 3 days, my XJ ran hotter on the turnpike both to and from work. The only thing I can figure is there is so much air going in thru the high pressure opening that is is almost pressurizing the engine compartment. With it under high pressure I think it reduced the amount of air that was flowing thru the radiator fins and fans. Now thats with the whole hood rasied in the back, the effect of that 8 or 10 wide opening may be reduced some.
Believe me, it has been tough not to order one of those hoods from quadratec I gotta say considering I can get it painted for cost of mixing the paint in the dupont machine...

Back