• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i guess my doors were meant to stay on

cassio

NAXJA Forum User
so i finnaly decided to take my doors off
this heat wave has been killing me

so i tried to use a dremel and a cut off wheel and just saw off that bottom part
of the hinge

well after cutting as far as the wheel will reach i tried knocking that piece off and it wouldnt budge

so i decided to take off the hinge and that stupid star bolt just striped every time

so i kinda just put the tools up
anyone have any suggestions??

thanks
cas

I was unable to do it without taking the bolts off. If the T40 strips, you'll have to get creative. I got most off with that, a few with vice grips, and one I had to weld a nut to the top of it. Then I replaced them all with the proper metric hex bolts. 13mm hex is much nicer than T40. With the doors off the hinges are real easy to cut. I used a few different tools in the process of cutting 8 hinges (doors + halfdoors). It can be done with a dremel, but you'll need the big heavy duty wheels to reach all the way through. I also used an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel on some, and that works but can easily cut too much. along those lines I don't reccommend using a cutting torch :laugh3:

Get those bolts, and some heavy duty dremel wheels. cut the bottom arm off the hinge first, then cut through the pin. the driver's side hinges are upside down so you'll have to weld the top of the pin to the hinge or it will fall out. good luck it's all pretty straitforward just a lot of work.

I did that to my 4door and I just used a brand new disc on my cuttoff tool so it would reach as far as it could and then used a big prybar to break off the bottom half of the hinge. It worked perfect. patience is key. good luck

i just couldnt reach as far as i wanted to with the cut off wheels
the dremel just kept hitting the bolts

i guess i just need to get a bigger pry bar

cas

vice grips are what i used on mine takes a little longer but it works ..i need to get some pics up of mydoors off...but yea if the vicegrips dont work you can use a sawzall lol

Back