• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mopar OEM Gas tank skid

Bouncy

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking at buying one from a guy. Was told his skid wouldn't fit my 1990. He has a 1997.

Are the mounting points for the gas tank skid different from year to year?

Gas tank skids fit either 1984 - 1996 or 1997 - 2001 due to the change in size of the gas tank when Jeep switched to plastic for the 1997 + models. The mounting holes are the same because receiver hitches fit all years.

The 97+ skid will not fit over the pinch seam on the older tanks. I had to widen mine almost 1/2 an inch. I also cut of the curved heat shield. JIM.

2X. Won't fit without modification. Below are the two tank skid types.

97-01 XJ
FuelTankSkid2.jpg

84-96 XJ
1d_1.jpg

Where's the best place to pick up a factory gas tank skid for an early XJ, dealership? What will they rape me for one, couple hundred dollars?

Almost all dealerships are sold out of XJ only parts, including skids of any type. The junkyard, the For Sale page on this forum, eBay and Craiglist are all good sources.

got mine at the junkyard for my 89 and went to the dealer for the nut strips that go into the frame rail.

dont rule out the dealer completely
at least give them a call and see if they can get it for you from another dealer or "vintage parts" warehouse
I called my local jeep dealer lookin for a factory front skid and he said its discontinued from mopar but there were still a few left out there and they were only 70 bux

I should have ordered 2 just to have an extra one to sell when you cant get em anymore

Back