• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'97 Tie Rod

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
I bent my tie-rod and am having a real pain finding a used one. Does anyone have one to sell or know of what other years of jeeps I can take it off of that would be the same one? I have a '97 XJ V6 4L thanks guys, 2 door if that would matter..

Dest said:
I bent my tie-rod and am having a real pain finding a used one. Does anyone have one to sell or know of what other years of jeeps I can take it off of that would be the same one? I have a '97 XJ V6 4L thanks guys, 2 door if that would matter..

first off all you have an Inline 6 ;) and im pretty sure any year would work someone will correct me if im wrong. I have 3 in my garage right now it shouldnt be too hard to find. Butif your going to replace it find a ZJ and use its its solid and much stronger.

X2
I just replaced mine not too long ago. $80 locally here at the "Zone" for a new one. Did all of the other connected components with it. Piece of mind knowing that I got a new one with a warranty was well worth the price.

Last edited:
Ok, I know my XJ, but I don't know the other designations. WJ and ZJ both look like grand cherokees. What's the difference between a WJ and a ZJ?

:) Actually, I guess I should have said which body styles and/or years are WJ and ZJ?

Just ran across something that shows WJ as 99 to 04 Grand. ZJ are pre 99?

g13092 said:
:) Actually, I guess I should have said which body styles and/or years are WJ and ZJ?

you crack me up lol :D but the designation changes when the body style on a jeep changes for all jeeps however the xjs stayed the same throughout all the years

g13092 said:

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep - the bottom half of the page has more info than you want on the designations.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

yes thats fine but why go stock when it easier and stonger to go get one off a ZJ? Just put a little effort and search about the ZJ ones. They are about 20 bucks at the junk yard. keep your OEM ones as a trail replacement.

Called the closest junkyard and they say they didn't have one, I think they just don't care.

I just swapped a zj tie rod into my 96 sport and love the look and strength. It is a simple half hour job using PB and a small sledge hammer. Just don't hit the threaded end of the tie rod unless you buffer it with hardwood. Spray with PB and knock it on each side. I am saving the original tie rod as a spare though I doubt if I will need it or even want to replace this zj upgrade. Paid $20 at a yard after checking three of them for grand cherokees. Note, however, that you need the one off a V8 model zj. When I aligned the front end, I was able to make the adjustments using my hand instead of the previous monkey wrench required with the old rod. Upgrades this simple and cheap feels like xmas.

Back