• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque converter - how to keep it with the trans when pulling the 4.0

mhead

NAXJA Forum User
Hi!

Have a 1992 XJ 4.0 I-6 with auto tranny. I'm pulling the 4.0 tomorrow. I know how to seperate the engine from trans but I've heard that sometimes the torque converter from the trans can stay with the engine when it comes out. True? If so, how do I keep it in there?

Thanks!

Remove the access cover (lower front of the bellhousing) and remove the four screws securing the TC to the flexplate. Paint the first hole you remove the screw from (match-marking - use a light paint and paint a mark on the flexplate and the TC) for reassembly.

Is match-marking strictly necessary? Probably not - but it's a good habit.

If you remove the TC along with the engine, you'll want to reinstall the TC separately, then install the engine. You really don't want to bugger up the drive tangs for the front pump...

The FSM suggests running a strap or wire across the front of the bellhousing to keep it in while maneuvering the tranny. When you put it back together, you really want to make sure the t/c is fully seated or you can damage the tranny when you tighten up the bellhousing bolts.

5-90 said:
Paint the first hole you remove the screw from (match-marking - use a light paint and paint a mark on the flexplate and the TC) for reassembly.

Is match-marking strictly necessary? Probably not - but it's a good habit.
If nothing else, it will remind you to line up the holes in the flexplate with the holes in the TC as close as you can before dropping in the motor. I didn't do it, and it made it a bit difficult to rotate the engine/flexplate to a spot where the holes lined up with the TC. By luck, we weren't off by much and I was able to put a punch through the FP bolt hole and pull the TC hole into alignment.
Good luck!

Back