• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can't believe it, a project went smoothly

philip_g

NAXJA Forum User
had been putting off doing my rear shocks because of the horror stories, and I can't believe all 4 top bolts backed right out of my 89 when I hit them with the inpact gun. No stripped bolts, no snapped bolts, just a nice 10 minute job. :woohoo:

....but now your bumpers will prob. fall off....lol. Three of mine broke, but I really didn't care, replacing the floor pans anyway so I have easy access to them.

I just installed a lift on my gfs xj and its a 98 and 4 out of 4 of them snapped so I had to drill and tap them. You got lucky!

you should go buy that lotto ticet that ''fitchva ''says to get...
i bought a '99 last year, no rust , never offroad ,got it from an old man who used it to carry his golf clubs to the course. In other words, immaculate............
twisted the heads off ALL 4 bolts while changing shocks in april......
had to drill em and retap to 10mm

In the "Anally Retentive bettin' On Murphy's Law" category....

Make sure you slather the bolts with anti-sieze compound....or go one better and use stainless. My XJ spent her formative years plying the wilds of New Jersey..... obsolutely obscene what road salt will do to a cars fasteners.....

Mike
00XJ

my 2000 didn't have a spec of rust.... all four snapped.

My 86 has had new shocks several times and I just put some new ones on this past weekend. It had a BB with some rancho 5000 that had been on there for 4 years. PB Blaster overnight, couple hours before, couple minitues before, bolts came right out no hassle. I did the bastard pack S10 for the lift in the rear. I took the whole rear spring assembly apart and the only broken bolt was an old leaf center pin which was no big deal because it was garbage anyway. Maybe I got lucky or maybe it just goes to show what a little PB Blaster will do. Anyway I also put some RE 3" coils in the front, RE adjustable trackbar, DT3000 shocks, and some new BFG 31x10.5 AT's. No vibes just have to find time to do rear brake line, flex it out, and go on run sometime.

snapped all of e'm off in my 98, punched out what was left with screwdriver and BFH switched to real bolts with real nuts haven't had any trouble yet and super easy to take on and off

Back