• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ will not start

ColoradoJeepXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I’ve got a problem. 1990, 4.0L, Auto. It will not start when cold, no spark off the coil. Once the temperature warms up outside, it will start. Anyone have any idea what is going on?

Full tune up---Distributor Cap Rotor Button, COPPER plug wires (preferably autolite) Champion copper plugs. if preblem persists I'd say it's probably the distributor itself.

Last edited:
Old Man... that is a money write up. It should be a sticky somewhere...

Edit: Doh! Nevermind... I see that it already is. Still money though... so money you don't even know its money.

Sorry it took so long for me to reply but I was up hunting. I had to rent a 4x4 to do it because of this XJ’s current problem.

It started right up when I was loading my gear. I let it run for about 10 minutes and shut it down. When I tried to start it two days later, no luck.

The engine will turn over and it is getting fuel but it is not getting a spark from the coil. I have replaced the coil and still no spark. I also disconnected the battery for about 10 minutes but all that did was wipe my clock and radio.

I guess I’ll start with the link OM sent but any ideas would be great.

(n) By the way, do not buy a 2007 Chevy Colorado. (n)

ColoradoJeepXJ said:

(n) By the way, do not buy a 2007 Chevy Colorado. (n)
DONT WORRY I WONT
I have been an S10 fan for the last 20 years mainly the 2wd versions
but there is really nothing about the craporado I like
and for the prices you pay for one if you do buy one you could buy full size and get ALOT more truck for only a couple grand more

but thats why I have a cherokee now
cheap to buy easy to build capable as fock to wheel with and relatively easy and cheap to fix when you do break em

maybe try resetting your computer.

mine would start after it was sitting for 3 weeks, but it wouldnt idle, after about 10 tries it wouldnt start at all (and it had a good battery) i reset the computer memory and it started right away.

Ok, I have checked the NSS, replaced the CPS and still have no spark off the new coil. The engine will crank and it’s getting fuel but still no spark.

Fortunately, this is not my daily driver but it would be nice if I could get it running before the snow flies.

Any ideas on what to check next?

Is there power TO the coil. Coil module, connections.

Does your relay set-up look like this?

2426393_11_full.gif

Yes, it look exactly like that. I have not checked for power to the coil yet and I’m not really sure how.

I found this little excerpt of a conversation on ALLDATA. That's why I asked about the relays.

"An electrician buddy of mine thinks it might be that there is a false contact somewhere within that compartment. I really don't know. I just know that if we take off the Power Latch Relay, the car does not start. What that has to do with this? I do not know, but my mechanic had told me that he fussed with that one day. (I just think he got lucky). The ICM is good because we tested it with a new one and got the same results."

The No Power from Power Latch Relay code is 1218

Anybody?

5-90?

I finally got some time to try and fix this thing. I started checking and cleaning connections and grounds and on the third group of connection, it started right up. Unfortunately, I was doing 4 or 5 at a time so I’m not sure exactly what connection it was but I know the general area it was in. It was the ICM connections or the four relay switches above it.

Thanks to all for your help. The link from Old Man really helped.

Back