• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing 1.5 DIN Radio

Jeff-97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My 97XJ factory radio is flaking out so "time for an upgrade".

Problem is that the opening for the radio in the dash is 1.5 DIN, not the standard 1 DIN.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which if any aftermarket radios will fit the opening?

I DO NOT want to use an adapter to fit 1 DIN radios !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your input-
Jeff-97XJ

I've had this dilemma too. Just ended up getting a working stock cd deck. Pioneer makes one, but I personally think it looks very cheap. Alpine used to make one that I really liked, but they no longer do. It's hard to find one of those in good condition. Then there are the offbrands, Phase Linear (Audiovox), Pyle, Rampage, etc. I think the Phase Linear looks great, but Im not down with AV electronics. Never been a fan of their stuff.

Pioneer DEH-P77/74DH
1096482966527_DEH_P77DH_RB.jpg

Alpine CDA-D852/853/855
83_1.JPG

Phase Linear UMP8015
PHAS-UMP8015(Large).jpg

just out of curiosity...what's the problem with using an adapter to fit a 1 DIN?

I replaced my stock am/fm/cass with a jensen 1 din, http://www.cardomain.com/item/JENMP8610BT
Got it mainly for the bluetooh so I use my cell phone over the stereo system. Pioneer makes one too. The installation kit has an insert that the radios security sleeve slids into. The wiring harness adapter took me about 10 min to solder and shrink tube and then it was plug n play, physically removing the radio and putting the new one in literally took about 8 min... Mines a 98XJ, also putting one in the TJ next month, going to be the pioneer one this time though now that the price has come down..

First place I would check is Crutchfield.com. They have a database for what fits in what and all the needed adapters, faceplates, etc.....but there's not much to choose from in the "big radio" (1.5 DIN) category.... or....

Cruise eBay for an upgrade stock radio. My '00 XJ came with the stock AM/FM radio....I didn't like the look of the the aftermarket offerings (I also didn't like the look of the price tags either) so I opted for a high zoot factory job. Since I've still got one foot stuck in the "Anaolg Age", I scored a CD/Cassette/AM/FM unit with a three band "equalizer". I believe some of the higher end factory units were actually made by Alpine. Best part is installation; pop the center panel off, remove two screw and disconnect the back leads is all it took to remove the existing radio.... do it backwards for installation and your playin' tunes. The setup sounds nice and looks original.... and it will sound even better when I swap out the four factory speakers. Now if your into making the earth move whenever you crank on your car stereo.... well, keep lookin'

Mike
00XJ

The install kits for the 1.5din XJs look good if you get the right one. You can flush mount just about any aftermarket radio try Metra kit #99-6501 sits nice in the dash not like older GM when the kit has to stick out of the dash an inch because of no depth. Those Pioneers may fit without an adapter but don't look good installed.

Anyone ever try a double-din radio in a 97-up XJ? I had my center stack trim off and noticed that there's probably enough room to alter the A/C duct and diffuser. Cut and splice the trim? Could get a pretty nifty Nav/DVD head unit in or even try one of the new MyGigs from 08+ mopar!

FordGuy said:
It was a pain in the as#, spent over 8 hours reworking the panel.

IMG_1030.jpg

WHOA, How you going to explain to your passenger and insurance company the reason for planting that display in someones face when the airbag deploys ?????

FordGuy said:
There is no Air Bag behind the GPS, But the going joke is, "It's on my wifes side"

The whole rectangular panel blows out there "fordguy" Ya its the going joke, until you kill your wife. :nono:

If there isn't an airbag behind it, it won't blow.

Besides, the panel blows up or down; straight out would defeat the purpose of having an airbag behind the panel.

Jeff-97XJ said:
I have seen how they look in an XJ and they all look AWFUL.

Jeff-97XJ

Try Crutchfield. I replaced the 1.5 DIN in my wifes Frontier with an adapter that adds a pocket in place of the extra .5. It looks nice and the extra pocket is pretty handy for a couple of CDs or the cell phone.

88XJSport said:
If he ripped the airbag out, physically, then I can see how that can be pulled off...

No Shit Sherlock! Do you really think anyone with even a peanut of a brain would leave in the air bag! come on dude! Its a Joke.

FordGuy said:
No Shit Sherlock! Do you really think anyone with even a peanut of a brain would leave in the air bag! come on dude! Its a Joke.
My bad dude! Next time I wont jump to conclusions by judging by your username.

Jeff-97XJ said:
I have seen how they look in an XJ and they all look AWFUL.

Jeff-97XJ

I'm a stickler for details but I just don't equate this with awful:

2djnrpi.jpg

To each their own though.

Back