• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear brake questions!

Rusty from Cleveland

NAXJA Forum User
I think I need to replace my rear brake shoes. I know they were getting very worn back at the beginning of the year when I installed my No-slip locker. I have the 8.25 rear and the towing package on a 99 XJ. I assume it has the 10" drums versus the 9" drums right? Any tips on the replacement? I have never messed with any rear brake jobs before and only done front disc brake and rotor work in the past. Anything that I need to pay particular attention to or any tips for new rear shoe install would be appreciated. Thanks for any response in advance. Rusty

take the time and take one rear tire off and measure the diameter of the drum just to make sure.

drum are no hard to do but it can be a challenge. take a picture with a digital camera before taking them apart. do one side at a time and use a haynes or chiltons as a reference. there tools that are used to take the springs off and for putting the spring retainers back on. if you dont have the brake tools you can use plyers and a strong grip. if you know someone you has done the job before, you may want to have them to do one side and you do the other after you have seen it done.

the first time doing drums can be tricky, but once you do it a few times it only takes about 15-30 minutes a side.

I just did mine for the first time (for me and my Jeep) and I used the information in the attached URL to guide me...everything went fine...I really like the bonded versus riveted brake shoes...
As far as size goes, when I took off my wheel and looked at the drum, it was stamped
"MAX DIA. 230 MM"...which is 9 inches....so I knew what shoe size to buy...

If you have a good space to see thru your rims, you might might be able to see if your drums are stamped with a size, without taking off the wheel.

There are a few other posts with good pictures and advise on what to look out for...like bigger shoe on the backside of drum, etc. etc..

try searching on "brake shoes" or rear brakes"...

here is that URL to click on...

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoRearDrums1.htm

Thanks for the link! I printed that off for the job I will be doing on this one soon. Is there any consistancy as to which size drum that the 8.25 rear has or if the towing package matters or year matters? Or for what it's worth, on the D35 either? I "guessed" that I have the 10" versus 9" just for the sake of the bigger 8.25 axle and the towing package. Oh well, I guess I will find out soon enough....Rusty

I was always under the assumption that only the Police Package XJ's had the 10 inch drums.

I bought a drum brake tool set which for the most part was worthless, however the spring retainer pliers probably saved me from kicking in my garage wall. I got away with just using those and a pair of Vice Grips.

Have fun. like 89xj said, they aren't difficult however I cussed like a sailor the first time I did them.

I was always under the assumption that only the Police Package XJ's had the 10 inch drums
=============================================
I have seen several non police 8.25 with 10 inch drums one of them is under my 01 now. It did come from my ex-wifes XJ and that had the towing package.

i would measure to be 100% sure.

i have the d35 on my 89 and it has 10".

after 1991, all or most d35 and chrysler8.25 have 9" unless its the po po package.

badron said:
I have seen several non police 8.25 with 10 inch drums one of them is under my 01 now. It did come from my ex-wifes XJ and that had the towing package.
ok, I'll stop spewing that info. I always ran into the whole 10" Police Package deal while shopping for that info awhile back.

Well, popped a wheel off yesterday....Sure enough 9 inchers on the 8.25 I hope to take care of the job on Sunday afternoon. Thanks for the help guys....Rusty

Weren't most, if not all 10" drums finned? The boneyard has almost 50% finned versus 9" on older, especially Renix XJ's. My sons '95 is a police spec, with 9" drums. It was from a state park in NJ, and I didn't think much of it until I had to replace the front axle u-joints- special items.

Anyone know how much (I assume more) stopping ability the 10 inchers have over the 9 inchers. I figure the bigger the diameter the better, but it appears that the 9 inchers are wider...anyway, anyone have any numbers? I figure it's probably minimal with the width difference....Rusty

Back